Using household bleach in place of store shock

Aug 19, 2017
Abington, ma
I'm new to TFP and pool care but have done some reading and think I have somewhat of a handle on things.
My pool is cloudy and not holding FC. Last night I treated it with 4 bags of store shock after getting a zero FC reading. This was following using 2 bags the night before. This was directions from my local pool store. Tonight the directions (if FC is low at 8pm) will be to increase it to 8 bags of shock. Can I use household bleach instead? I have used it in the past and found a calculations somewhere online that had me using 3 qts. I can't find this same info now. I'd love to avoid buying $50 worth of chemicals today before they close at 4pm if my reading at 8 is good. Also, if bleach is just as good or better, and it's less expensive I'd love to start using that instead.
My pool is 14,500 gal, in ground, fiberglass, cartridge filter, chlorine tabs
Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

Your 'store shock' is either Cal Hypo or dichlor. One adds calcium and the other CYA. Both are issues if they get too high.

You can use bleach - use PoolMath to determine how much.

However, it sounds like you need to SLAM Process. To do that you need a proper test kit. I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net. Best value for the residential pool owner.

Start reaading through pool school. Come back with questions.

Glad to have you on the forum.

Welcome to TFP :)
I second everything mknauss stated above. When you order your kit though get the xl option, you will burn through reagents rather quickly during a SLAM.
I'd love to avoid buying $50 worth of chemicals today
Put your money into a good test kit and say good bye to spending loads of cash at your local pool store.
Save your money for pool toys and your time for swimming.

I acquired a pool last year when we purchased a new home, and though I started with powdered chlorine/shock, I quickly switched to liquid bleach and I have not looked back. As mknauss stated, the powdered stuff will add calcium or cyanuric acid (CYA), both of which can lead to issues in excess. Only downside to liquid is more space needed to store more stuff. This time of year (in my area), stores cut back on stocking 10% and 12.5%. Last year in Aug, I was able to find an 8.25% household clorox bleach which got me through to the end of the season. It works just the same, you only have to add a little more. Don't buy scented bleaches (use sodium hypochlorite). Use the Pool Math app for the correct amount to SLAM once you know your chlorine level and you'll be good to go! You can even calculate it using the strength of liquid chlorine you have. Very nifty. This year, I stocked up on liquid 12.5% when it went on sale and have more then enough. I mostly buy mine at Menard's which has great prices (sometimes they run half off sales in mid summer for a couple weeks).
https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...-liquid-chlorinator-1-gal/p-1444443335285.htm

I agree with LFrankow...get a test kit and order the XL version test kit. You will need (and use) it - especially if you are SLAMming and new to learning the chemistry. I decided to take control of things and ordered the TFTestkit last year. Best decision I ever made. There are detailed instructions, and use it conjunction with the Pool Math app, which is really convenient. It will keep you out of the pool stores! Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.