Using gray schedule 40 conduit for solar?

tphaggerty

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
Poughquag, NY
Helping a neighbor install solar for an above ground pool next to his deck. We are going with 3 4x12 "inground" panels on his deck cover. His deck and house are gray. I happen to have a piece of schedule 40 pvc that is normally used for electrical conduit and sold that way at the big box stores, and the color pretty much matches his house and deck color.

So, instead of using white pipe, I thought maybe we could use the gray stuff. Does anyone have any experience doing this or opinions about whether this is a good idea or not. The straight pipe has preformed connectors, but I'm thinking we would cut those off and use regular connectors instead. The angles for the stuff is all large radius, which might help water flow little bit. But I'm not sure how this stuff would work in a pool environment.

Anyone have any thoughts? It's no big deal either way, more of an esthetic issue!

Electrical conduit is not a pressure rated or NSF rated pipe. The PVC in conduit can contain recycled material and lead. Not something you want in a closed loop warm water delivery system. Its also why conduit is cheaper than water pipe. It is also why they are distinctly different colors. They don't want you to confuse the two because the fittings are interchangeable.

It would be best to use the white water pipe for a pool plumbing system.

Helping a neighbor install solar for an above ground pool next to his deck. We are going with 3 4x12 "inground" panels on his deck cover. His deck and house are gray. I happen to have a piece of schedule 40 pvc that is normally used for electrical conduit and sold that way at the big box stores, and the color pretty much matches his house and deck color.

So, instead of using white pipe, I thought maybe we could use the gray stuff. Does anyone have any experience doing this or opinions about whether this is a good idea or not. The straight pipe has preformed connectors, but I'm thinking we would cut those off and use regular connectors instead. The angles for the stuff is all large radius, which might help water flow little bit. But I'm not sure how this stuff would work in a pool environment.

Anyone have any thoughts? It's no big deal either way, more of an esthetic issue!

If you want gray coloration - use SCH80 PVC... if pumping hot water, CPVC. Definitely not electrical conduit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.