Using Dichlor for initial SLAM

Jul 24, 2018
Australia
I'm trying to get my greenish pool clean after neglecting it for a bit. Had a test done that showed my FC and CYA are almost zero and high pH.

FC 0.08
CC 0.28
pH 8.1
TA 98
CYA 4
CH 288
Salt 3904

So need to raise FC (to shock level) & CYA, and lower pH. I was thinking of using Dichlor i already have to do this.
Using Pool Math, adding 1700g of Dichlor will raise FC by 24, raise CYA by 21, lower pH by 0.9, and raise Salt by 19.
Is this a good idea as a starting point? I realise i will later have to balance it including raising CYA to 30 (with acid) and maintaining FC shock levels (with bleach).
Also, should i be concerned about my high salt level?

Wally, first off, whose doing your pool testing? Got a kit of your own for accuracy?? Those results look kinda questionable to me.

There is Australia ClearChoiceLabs have the testing kit you want to perform your own tests.

Dichlor works a bit slow for a SLAM... you need a big one-two punch to stun algae. Sure it will raise your CYA but I would suggest liquid chlorine or plain household unscented, un-thickened bleach instead.

Maddie :flower:

Thanks for that Maddie. It was pool shop test results. What makes you question them?
Will have to invest in a kit.

Because most (all?) drop based tests which are the most accurate don't come up with such....uh...precise numbers as "CH 288" or "CYA 4" etc. Along with that we have found (at least in the US?) that pool stores tend to be sloppy with testing. Perhaps in hopes of making a chemical sale or just something....

Maddie :flower:

No chlorinator, just use bleach.

Ok. That's quite a bit of salt for a freshwater pool. No matter, it won't affect anything.

I have a teeny 19,000L pool and I'd need some 78kg of salt to get to that level, so no 10l of bleach isn't going to put that much salt in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.