Using creek to fill pool and chemicals needed

oimamlion

May 19, 2019
Sabula, Iowa
We have an Intex 16x32 with SWG on the way! We've been trying to brainstorm the best way to fill the pool because we're on a well. We were told not too long ago that the pump will need replaced soon, and so we are afraid filling the pool will do it in, thus literally doubling the cost of the pool. During our searching, we found some folks who had used ponds or creeeks to fill their pool. This is a very doable solution for us, WE THINK. The tentative plan is to maybe dam the creek just a bit, use the pool pump and PVC to get the water to the pool, use filters on the end of the hose before going into the pool sand filter, backwashing every few hours. I know we need salt to start the pool, but what else do we need, and do we need additional chemicals because we are using creek water? I read on another thread to add bleach as it fills, but just wanted to make sure that is accurate for a saltwater pool. If so, about how much? I believe the total gallons of water will be just under 15,000 when filled. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. This is just the first of many questions, I'm sure. :)

There shouldn’t be any issues with water from the creek other than it might take more to get clean and clear.

There is a problem with your plan though, the pump won’t be able to prime to pool water out of the creek, and even the smallest pool pump will likely pump faster than the creek is supplying water unless it’s a large creek. If you want to go this route I’d suggest a sump pump

There shouldn’t be any issues with water from the creek other than it might take more to get clean and clear.

There is a problem with your plan though, the pump won’t be able to prime to pool water out of the creek, and even the smallest pool pump will likely pump faster than the creek is supplying water unless it’s a large creek. If you want to go this route I’d suggest a sump pump

Thanks, Jim! Because we don't have the pool yet, I'm not 100% sure what chemicals we will need on startup, other than the salt itself. Can you advise? I'm sure the manual will tell us, but we are outside of town and would like to get this stuff beforehand. Do you recommend adding bleach along the way?

Thank you for the info on the pump. I had seen someone using their pool pump for a pond, so I wasn't sure. I have wondered how many GPH the creek is moving. It depends on the rain, which has been a lot lately. We will look into the sump. :)

Without knowing the chemistry of your fill water we cannot say all the chemicals you will need.

You will need bleach/liquid chlorine. About 3 quarts a day for 3ppm in 18,000 gallons.

You will need 4 to 5 lbs of stabilizer to raise your CYA to 30.

You need a good test kit. We recommend the TF-100 Test Kits or the Taylor K-2006C. And get the Speedstir Magnetic Stirrer to make testing easier and more accurate.

You would need to test the creek pH and TA to say what chemicals you will need for them.

Without knowing the chemistry of your fill water we cannot say all the chemicals you will need.

You will need bleach/liquid chlorine. About 3 quarts a day for 3ppm in 18,000 gallons.

You will need 4 to 5 lbs of stabilizer to raise your CYA to 30.

You need a good test kit. We recommend the TF-100 Test Kits or the Taylor K-2006C. And get the Speedstir Magnetic Stirrer to make testing easier and more accurate.

You would need to test the creek pH and TA to say what chemicals you will need for them.

Thank you! I do have a Taylor K-2006C on the way. I guess what I meant was which chemicals I will for sure need, regardless of how the water tests out. I have Cyanuric Acid on my list. As far as bleach/liquid chlorine, are you saying 3 qts a day as long as the pool is open? How much initially? 3 quarts?

Use the FC/CYA Levels. For CYA 30 your target is 5-6ppm.

Use PoolMath to calculate the effects of adding chemicals. Your initial FC raise from 0 to 6 ppm will be about 6 quarts of 6% chlorine. Less then that if you can get 10% chlorine at Walmart, Lowes, HD, or a local store.

Do not buy Clorox bleach. You want pure bleach with no additives. Clorox bleach contains polymers which create foaming and is not suitable for pools.

Pools lose 2-4ppm a day depending on the sun intensity it gets. You need to add that amount daily.

Pools lose 2-4ppm a day depending on the sun intensity it gets. You need to add that amount daily.
The SWCG should make that chlorine for you each day. But do have liquid chlorine on hand to raise your FC initially and for those days of big pool parties or lots of organics in the pool.

Oops .. missed that he will have a SWG since he does not have a signature with details of his pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dump in the salt as you fill the pool, as soon as the water is full and the salt has dissolved by brushing, turn the pump on, and hit the boost button on the SWCG. You can boost quite a few times in succession, so you will then potentially have a few days to test and work out exactly what you need. In this time the fill water will be getting filtered and sanitised.

I would not recommend adding salt during the fill and TFP does not recommend to ever use 'Boost' on a SWCG. A SWCG is designed to maintain a FC level, not increase it.
Get the water clean, chemistry balanced with a 30 ppm CYA. Then add the salt and raise the CYA to SWCG levels and add liquid chlorine to raise your FC to target level for the CYA level.

Reactions: Casey and oimamlion
Ok. We've decided on the sump pump from the creek to the pool. I read on another forum that you should pump the water into the waste port of the sand filter pump and set it to backwash so that the water will come out into the pool. Is this a sound plan? Anyone have any idea on the diameter of the waste port so I can make sure we have the hose/adapter needed. It would be the Krystal Klear 2800. I did order the Duda Diesel bags, but I'm not sure where they will fit in. I was hoping to filter the creek water before it entered the pool, preferably before it even entered the sand filter pump. Any ideas?

I would not recommend adding salt during the fill and TFP does not recommend to ever use 'Boost' on a SWCG. A SWCG is designed to maintain a FC level, not increase it.
Get the water clean, chemistry balanced with a 30 ppm CYA. Then add the salt and raise the CYA to SWCG levels and add liquid chlorine to raise your FC to target level for the CYA level.
We are finally almost ready for this step and will be doing the OCLT tonight. Can we add salt and CYA at the same time? Also, if anything else needs adjusted, like pH, can we do that at the same time as well? How long will it take to dissolve the salt? I ask because I don't want to run the robot if there's salt on the bottom, right?

Only thing you do not want to add at the same time is chlorine and muriatic acid.

Add the salt and brush or get in the pool and mix it up. Should dissolve in minutes. Be sure the salt is well mixed in before starting the SWCG. Test your salinity.

Only thing you do not want to add at the same time is chlorine and muriatic acid.

Add the salt and brush or get in the pool and mix it up. Should dissolve in minutes. Be sure the salt is well mixed in before starting the SWCG. Test your salinity.

Thank you! Finally passed the OCLT this morning! Missed my alarm the other morning when we tried. When you look at this pool, it is crazy to know that we started out with brown/green creek water and are now crystal clear with nothing but chlorine and CYA added during that nearly 4 WEEK LONG SLAM. I will run a full set of tests later this morning before adding salt. Hopefully, the FC will drop some by then so that my pH will be accurate and we'll be starting salt when the FC is where we want it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.