Using Borax to stabilize PH

JBJ4L

Aug 11, 2015
Dove Canyon, CA
I have to admit, I didn't search a ton on this particular topic so forgive me if this has been previously discussed. I'm not new, but have a "new to me pool" that I've converted to the TFP method. I have the kit and have the water balance pretty well. But as part of that I was having a hard time in keeping my PH in line as it tended to rise to 8.2 pretty easily (1-2 days). I'll save you the long drawn out story, but I applied and researched all the obvious suspect. After reading tons on the forum I learned that borax can help stabilize PH, especially from rising. So I decided to give it a try and I've got my borates to 50ppm along with my TA at 100. And all is good, but I wanted to check on one thing.

I typically like to run my PH right in the middle 7.5 or so. But with the borates is sits steadily at 7.8. Doesn't really rise and almost impossible to get to drop, it takes a lot of acid to get it there. But when I do get it there it goes back to 7.8 pretty quickly (1-2 days). I do have a spa to pool waterfall that creates some aeration, but I don't think that it's enough to have such an impact.

I know 7.8 is still safe, but my question is, is this normal for pools with borates? I'm fine with keeping it at 7.8 but just thought it was odd. Being that I'm new to using borates I'm just looking for some wisdom/advice.

Thanks in advance,

JBJ

I'm really anxious to see how others weigh in on this as well. I also just recently converted to a borate pool.

One thing I will admit is, that since adding the boric acid (and religiously adhering to the TFP methods of pool care), I have NEVER seen my pool look so clean and clear. It's amazing now. I do notice a clarity difference since adding the boric acid.

The techniques outlined in pool school, pool math, Extended Pool Test Kit Directions, etc. and all of the great chemistry advice here is amazing. Many thanks to all of the TFP pool experts who have contributed to all of this invaluable information.

You could get your TA down from 100 to 60 - 70 and reduce your PH rise some more. It will be harder to do with borates in your pool.

Your pool naturally wants to run at PH 7.8. Why try and force it to 7.5 when it doesn't want to stay there?

I'm really anxious to see how others weigh in on this as well. I also just recently converted to a borate pool.

One thing I will admit is, that since adding the boric acid (and religiously adhering to the TFP methods of pool care), I have NEVER seen my pool look so clean and clear. It's amazing now. I do notice a clarity difference since adding the boric acid.

The techniques outlined in pool school, pool math, Extended Pool Test Kit Directions, etc. and all of the great chemistry advice here is amazing. Many thanks to all of the TFP pool experts who have contributed to all of the invaluable information.

I agree. My pool is crystal clear, feels great and has that sparkly effect. I feel really good about everything, just trying to understand if 7.8 is expected/normal. Otherwise everything seems to be amazing. Thanks for the encouragement.

JBJ

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, to be honest I should have done that first. I ran a pool in FL for years with a TA at 100 and had that stuck in my head as a magic number (obviously all pools/water arn't created equal). I went down the borax road before coming to my senses. I'm fine with it being there and you're probably right. With TA at 100 with the borates it just probably wants to be at 7.8. That makes me feel a better.

Even with the borates if you drop the PH to 7.0 and aerate up to 7.6 and repeat the cycle a few times you can get the TA down some.

Great question JBJ. I have my borates at 60 ppm and TA at 80 and my pool tends to go back to 7.8. I put a ton of acid to bring the PH to 7.2 and the TA went from 90 to 80 but it still drifts to 7.8. Since Poolmath said it was ok I stop worrying about. Cant be called TroublFree if you have to worry about something all the time. Good Luck!

Great question JBJ. I have my borates at 60 ppm and TA at 80 and my pool tends to go back to 7.8. I put a ton of acid to bring the PH to 7.2 and the TA went from 90 to 80 but it still drifts to 7.8. Since Poolmath said it was ok I stop worrying about. Cant be called TroublFree if you have to worry about something all the time. Good Luck!
Sorry..Borates 50 TA 80 PH 7.8

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.