Using Bleach vs Tabs

Billtkat

Apr 25, 2020
Oro Valley, AZ
My first year using bleach. Being new to it I test in the evening and adjust. I then test early morning and it appears to be just where I think it should be based on amount added the night before however by end of the day I need to add again. Is this the norm for bleach , just add X amount each evening ? For me I add 32 oz to get to about 4-5 and just doing the simple test it looks close to that shade but but afternoon it is around 1.5 to 2. Just looking to see if that is the norm on how sing bleach is versus using the tabs - thanks !

Yes. You need to replenish the chlorine lost each day. It may vary depending on cloud cover, organics in the pool, bather load, etc.

Do not let your FC fall below minimum for your CYA. Best to be near the target range at the time you test your FC.

Yes. You need to replenish the chlorine lost each day. It may vary depending on cloud cover, organics in the pool, bather load, etc.

Do not let your FC fall below minimum for your CYA. Best to be near the target range at the time you test your FC.
Thanks - Knowing it is daily is fine. Comes out to about 32 oz a night but will check to ensure - CYA is another issue on another thread -?

I mentioned the FC based on CYA as your reported FC results just prior to adding chlorine are below minimum. You are dancing on a head of a pin. Luckily in your environment, with minimal airborne organics, you may get away with it for awhile. But one day, you will go, 'why are the walls of my pool slimy and a green cloud emanates when I brush it?'.

I mentioned the FC based on CYA as your reported FC results just prior to adding chlorine are below minimum. You are dancing on a head of a pin. Luckily in your environment, with minimal airborne organics, you may get away with it for awhile. But one day, you will go, 'why are the walls of my pool slimy and a green cloud emanates when I brush it?'.
Thanks - I will work to keep it higher. Using bleach vs tabs is something I am trying to adjust to for poo maintenance -

Richard, I also did not realize how much CYA the tabs put into my pool. Mine is about 24,500 gallons and EACH TABLET raises my CYA by 0.65 ppm. I'm finishing a drain and refill to reduce my CYA to under 30 ppm. It is the only way. This weekend has thunderstorms, so no one is swimming anyway. In fact, overnight the storms added 2 inches, for free.

Each 3" tablet is 8 oz and are typically 52% CYA. To figure out how much a tablet will add in ppm to your pool, divide 31,200 by the gallons of your pool. This will be the amount of CYA in ppm per tablet.

Full calculation is: 1,000,000 * 8 (oz/tablet) * 0.52 / [Pool Gallons * 16 (oz/lb) * 8.34 (lb/gallon)] You are dividing the oz (weight) of CYA by the oz (weight) of your pool and then multiplying by a million to get ppm. The exact number is 31,175.06 divided by pool gallons. Most of us don't know the exact volume of our pool, so 31,180 or even 31,200 should work fine.

Last edited:
A 3" Trichlor Tablet is 8 oz. TriChlor releases a 2:1.2 ratio of FC to CYA
In the POOL MATH app I use "effects of adding" . For every 16 oz of Trichlor added it raises CYA by 6.3 - I assume that is when the total amount is gone. I use a scale to measure so there is now guessing how much something weighs - That part of the app is really super helpful -

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.