Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
For those that successfully use an autocover as a winter cover and live in a climate that gets good amount of snow (like Chicago), do you notice any bowing of your lead bar from the weight of snow? This is our first winter with a pool and first time using autocover as winter cover. I have noticed that the lead bar has bowed slightly in the middle from the weight of the snow on it. Do people usually remove the snow from the lead bar if you get a large amount of snow? Our water level seems to be unchanged. We left it at about halfway up the skimmer when we closed the pool.

I have also noticed that our skimmers filled with water & solid ice despite the fact that we used skimmer door plugs and antifreeze. We also have gizmos installed. Is it expected to have the skimmer doors leak and allow the skimmers to fill with water in winter?? I am hoping our skimmers have not cracked from the freezing water inside them:(

An autocover is not really designed to handle snow loads the way an anchored winter cover is. Some people get away with it. Others put a winter cover on their pool.

Your skimmers should be fine if you have Gizzmos in them. Skimmer door plugs don’t always seem to seal perfectly.

Reactions: mmesqc1578
In my neck of the woods it's a 90/10 split where most don't use the auto cover for winter protection. The manufacturers say it's ok but I see it differently besides I prefer to save the cover for when it needs to be used as designed during swim season and am a big believer that winter is abusive and I'd rather replace a winter cover when the time comes then have a damaged auto cover which costs a small fortune.

Reactions: mmesqc1578
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.