Using a skimmer sock with a SkimPro skimmer basket with a long vented handle in the middle

Noob123

May 12, 2020
Gallatin
Our pool is surrounded by trees. This time of year, the birch trees that overhand the pool are dropping tiny little seeds into the pool constantly. The bottom of the skimmer basket is coated with seeds by the end of the day, and a lot of them make their way into the pump basket and are difficult to remove. I bought some skimmer socks so I could prevent these seeds from getting into the pump basket, but I’m afraid they won’t work with the skimmer basket that I have because it has a long handle in the middle. My skimmer basket is called the SkimPro and it has a long removable vented handle in the middle that prevents the skimmer from clogging when it gets full of leaves so the pump won’t get damaged. It has saved my pump from burning out on numerous occasions when it got full of leaves after a storm. I am able to wrap the skimmer sock around the inside of the basket when then removable handle is off, but I really don’t want to use the basket with the vented handle off since it protects the pump from clogs if it fills up with leaves. I tried putting the handle back on with the skimmer sock intact but it tore. I’m afraid the skimmer sock could come off completely over time since it is torn. Do they make some heavier skimmer socks that won’t tear as easily when I put the skimmer handle back on, or is there another way to attach it so it will not get torn when the handle is put back on? The skimmer socks I purchased are very thin, but I wasn’t sure if they made any skimmer socks that are thicker.

I purchased the skimpro tower adapter to use with my existing skimmer baskets, because my baskets came with socks installed, and I didn't want to lose that functionality. I have since switched the socks over to the hairnets. I found that with the hairnets, the adapter would tear through the net when I would install. What I found that worked, was to hold the hairnet tight around the adapter, as I thread it on, then pull it over the edges of the basket. When I remove it to toss the dirty net, I pull down the edges, and twist off the handle. Sometimes the net spins with the handle, but that is no problem. I'll get some pics this evening and post them, when I change nets.

--Jeff

I failed to mention previously, I had purchased the skimmer angels to use, before reading about skimmer socks/hairnets. When I realized that the skimmer angel wouldn't work, I believe it was in the tips and tricks thread, I read about the skimpro. So I bought those instead, as the poster that mentioned these said they would work with the hair nets.

Pics as promised, showing the steps for how I remove and replace the hair net. I had the same issue with the twisting motion tearing the net, when I would stretch it out over the skimmer, prior to installing the tower. Now, covering the tower with the hair net, keeps the net from twisting as I thread the tower into place.

step 1 - Remove basket from skimmer
step 2 - fold hair net over, into skimmer basket
step 3 - twist and remove the tower (hair net may spin with the tower)
step 4 - toss hair net
step 5 - put new hair net over the tower
step 6 - thread tower into socket/skimmer basket
step 7 - pull elastic edge of hair net over edge of skimmer basket
step 8 - re-install basket into skimmer

skimmer 1.JPG
skimmer 2.JPG
Skimmer 3.JPG
skimmer 4.JPG
skimmer5.JPG
skimmer6.JPG

--Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.