Using a floating chlorine dispenser while away? Suggestions appreciated

Jul 3, 2016
Delphos, OH
I have been pondering this and with travelling season upon us I was thinking that using a floating dispenser might be more reliable than having someone come and add chlorine. The last time I went the "ask a friend" route, I came home to a lovely green pool. I have no experience with the floating dispensers. I know the pucks have CYA but I figure I'd rather fight a slightly high CYA (I'm at 40 or very close) and not fight the algae.
So how do I go about setting it up. My wife bought some of the smaller tabs so it looks like I'll have to put in about 4/10000 gal of water or about 8 tabs. I just don't know how to determine how much to open or close to make the tabs last for 4 or 5 days.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

When we go on a trip in the summer I fill mine up as much as I can and open the slots as much as I can. I would rather add too much than come home to a green pool. Remember SLAM levels are much higher than daily levels so your pool and equipment will be safe with the higher levels.

I am looking into installing an inline feeder just for this reason.

Kim:kim:

I found a floating chlorinator at HD a couple years ago, which is double sided. I think it holds about 10-12 3" pucks. I fill it up, leave it set about 1/2 way open, and have a neighbor top it up as needed, after a week or so. We've been gone up to 2 weeks, and find the chlorine levels are on the high side, but the CYA does not rise appreciably in that time. There are always puck fragments left. If you want to salvage them for next time, be very careful. Apparently, once wet, they give off strong chlorine fumes. So, keep them in a closed container, and only open it outside, being careful to avoid the fumes in a gust of wind.

I'm going to be faced with this for first time soon too. I also have very little experience with tabs since I was one of the lucky ones that discovered this site at the beginning of my pool ownership journey.

In any event, my thought is to get my pool up to shock level then add tabs. Shock level should buy me a few extra days, and hopefully the tabs will keep me elevated enough before I return. The dispenser previous owner left fits 3 large tabs.

You don't indicate how long you will be away. I think you ought to invest in a new chlorinator. If I remember right, the ones that are available everywhere hold around 6 large tabs, which would be good for probably a week, or longer. Is there someone who could 1) test, 2) replenish the tabs, if needed? You should be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.