Using 3" tabs on 1 week vacation

run53

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
While I have an SWG, it is currently 7 yeas old and I suspect the cell may go south on me at any time. The last one I had lasted about 7 years so I may be on borrowed time. So I test my FC every day now just to be sure it's still working. Since I won't be able to test while on vacation, I was thinking of using some 5-6 year old 3" trichlor tabs I have saved in my basement as insurance. I plan to put them in my skimmer. I was using the PoolMath calculator and saw that if I add 24 oz(3 tabs) it would increase the FC by 7ppm for my 24k gallon pool. But what it doesn't tell me is over how long? I have no idea how long those tabs would take to dissolve in my skimmer. I run my pump about 11 hours a day and I'm sure the tabs will dissolve more quickly while the pump is running.

Any insight as to how long it takes for the tabs to dissolve? Then I would know how many tabs to put in the skimmer to cover the week I am away (as a backup in case my SWG fails). I realize that if my SWG does not fail, I would have excess FC but I'm ok with that. I like the tabs idea better than shocking with liquid chlorine before I leave because the tabs should disperse the FC more evenly over time.

If you put tablets in your skimmer, which we never recommend, you must run the pump 24 hours per day or risk damaging your pool equipment.

How long they will last depends on water temperature, water flow, etc.

Get a floater. Put the tablets in it. They will help a little if you have an issue. They will lower the pH so be prepared for that.

Nice feedback on the floater, however, I don't have time to get one.....Can I just put a few tabs in a thin cloth sock and hang it in front of a return? Similar to what I do to dissolve my CYA.

I would be hesitant doing that. The tablets are very acidic and could eat the sock away. You would not want tablets to get on your liner as they will permanently stain/damage the liner.

Best option would be to raise the FC to SLAM level with liquid chlorine. Then let the SWCG generate while you are gone.

Thanks for the advice on protecting my equipment and liner :)

Bringing FC to slam level is what I've done in the past while on VA and always worked. So I'll probably do the same again. I'll probably order a floater for future use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.