Using 2ft GFIC extension cord

Oct 18, 2016
Mt Vernon MIssouri
My filter pump is plugged into a GFIC outlet outside of my garage. I purchased a Saltwater system, and was wondering if I can user a 2Ft GFIC extension cord to plug into. It would be plugged in inside
of the garage. At this time I'm not wanting to have another GFIC outlet installed, maybe later.
My question is, is it safe to plug the GFIC cord on the saltwater system into an extension cord that has GFIC into my inside wall socket?

It’s not ideal.
3 gfci’s are likely unnecessary & may cause problems with tripping.
Although I don’t think a 2ft properly sized cord is going to make much of a difference as far a voltage drop or safety is concerned.
Also The receptacle in your garage is likely on a gfci circuit if you’re home was built in the last 20 years or so as there can be several receptacles that run off a single gfci. If so you can just use a standard non gfci short 2 or 3 ft cord but it should be at least 14 gauge.
The best advice would be to make a quad out of the receptacle that you’re pump is on & eleminate cords running everywhere.
the materials would likely only be about $15 to do this. Maybe someone handy could help you achieve that.
Those devices come with at least 20’ cords to deter people from using extension cords.

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
The gfci cord on the unit protects everything after the power supply.
if you’re needing to add a small extension cord & the receptacle is not on a gfci circuit then you would need to use a gfci extension cord.
if you’re just using the gfci cord on the unit & no extension yes you can plug it in to any outlet.

I would be using this, plugged into my 110 inside, the unit cord would be plugged into this. So maybe I don’t need this if I’m just going to plug the unit into my outlet
Sorry I’m not to smart With electrical

Attachments

• E4D56B02-E74D-4310-8EA1-A1595B0B7354.jpeg
    E4D56B02-E74D-4310-8EA1-A1595B0B7354.jpeg
    411.8 KB · Views: 7
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.