Used wrong plaster color

Greg9840

Aug 22, 2019
Miami, FL
Hello,

This is a fairly depressing story. I just moved to a new house and was renovating the deck and pool. When it came down to the time to choose my plaster color, I showed the contractor a photo of my old pool and told him I wanted to match that color. He named the color without hesitation. After the plaster work was done and the pool was filled, it was obvious it was a different color. At this point, I remembered that I still had the paperwork for the pool at my old house and checked it and it listed the plaster color, which was a very different color. Obviously, I am very angry with myself that I forgot I had the paperwork for my old pool, and that I let the contractor pick the color based on a single photo. The entire experience has been extremely upsetting.
Anyway, I was wondering:
1) What would be the appropriate way to handle this situation? The contractor told me he wants us to wait 30 days to let the color settle in before making a decision on it. We have already made up our minds that we want to change it because we just want the exact same color as our previous pool. And he said that if we choose to change it, he said he could preserve the existing waterline tile and would give me a "discount" on the plaster but we did not discuss the details of that discount yet. How much is the contractor at fault? I, personally, feel the photo I showed him does not closely resemble the color he said it was, and he is at fault for saying it was a color it wasn't. At the same time, I may be partially responsible for the SNAFU because I made the decision to let him pick the color based on a single photo, so I put him in a position that maybe he shouldn't have had to be in.
and
2) I hate the idea that adding yet another layer of plaster is going to make my already very shallow splash area a little more shallow. Does it make sense to chip out all the old plaster and get down to the shell before re-doing the plaster? Does chipping out the old plaster add a lot to the cost?

Thanks!

In the last pool I built, the contractor literally used the wrong plaster color - we had spec'd a lighter gray, and he went very dark. I was able to prove to him that it wasn't the color requested by email traffic. We lived with it and got a discount for it. And you know what? It was fine.

You are going to have to have a full chip out for the new plaster AND it will cost more this time as it will be two layers of plaster to chip out. I have only heard of having two layers of plaster due to the returns, lights, simmers, etc.

As to who is on the hook for the "mistake" in the plaster color.............I really don't want to say this but I think it is on you. Did you do any research on the color he said to see if it WAS the same color as your old plaster? Even if you did not have the paper work for the old pool you could have looked online to see what it looks like. I hate to side with this side :(

I did do some research on the colors. The color I originally thought it was did not look the same in photos on the plaster company's website, so I kind of gave up trying to match it myself and trusted the contractor because he has been doing this for decades. I kind of feel he should have said that it's really hard to tell from one picture and even sent me pictures of other pools rather than confidently saying he knew the color. And I really think he used bad judgment with his color choice. My old pool color is a totally different shade of blue. I think if 100 people looked at the picture of my pool and 10 different pictures of the pool color he selected, probably 95 people would say it was a different color. I think he was just playing fast and loose and didn't think about it very hard at a time where he should have been cautious because this is a big decision that is very expensive to fix. Or maybe his eye for color is just not very good. I guess his offer to re-do it as a discount is fair, depending on the level of the discount.
My pool is above average size. The average plaster quote I got was $3500. How much extra does it cost to chip out the old plaster before re-plastering?
Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah looking at colors on different computers is very tricky! Think about that stupid dress color thing that went around a while back :roll:

Cost-very hard to tell as each area is so different. Even in a big town like yours it could be different depending on what side of town you are in. I say get at least 3 quotes. Try for 5 but no less that 3 and go from there.

He is not offering a discount for the project. He is offering a discount on re-doing the plaster if we choose to do so. I don't foresee us ever loving this color, especially my wife. It's very dull. Why are the alternatives to living with the color worse if I'm willing to pay to fix it? This was a big renovation with new pool deck that cost me over $35,000. To spend all that money end up with the wrong color is just very disappointing. I've spent so much money already that it seems worth it to spend a few thousand more to get exactly what we want.

He is not offering a discount for the project. He is offering a discount on re-doing the plaster if we choose to do so. I don't foresee us ever loving this color, especially my wife. It's very dull. Why are the alternatives to living with the color worse if I'm willing to pay to fix it? This was a big renovation with new pool deck that cost me over $35,000. To spend all that money end up with the wrong color is just very disappointing. I've spent so much money already that it seems worth it to spend a few thousand more to get exactly what we want.
There's your answer right there.

Reactions: jtpipkin

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.