Used Saltwater Generator - worth a try?

KLJ

May 4, 2017
OH
My Husband is not wanting to pay a whole lot for a saltwater generator, That being said, I saw a used Hayward Aqua rite generator for sale. Problem is it is 9 years old.... owner says it works flawlessly. Say actual cell replaced 3 years ago. it is the t cell 15. Here is my issue, He is asking $400 for it. I realize that cells need t be replace every 3-5 years or so. Any thoughts on this? If i need to replace the cell Im back up to at least $600 . Is 9 Years old just too old to risk? If I was to purchase new, What would you recommend? I am considering the circupool sj-40 generator. Pool is approx 17,000 gallons. We have the standard wiring 120v going out to our pool. The pool Factory recommended the saltron RJ for 20000-25000 gallons . I questioned about doubling the size and then he said if I want to do that go with the saltron Reliant for 30,000 gallons. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Used Saltwater Generator - with a try?

There is an interesting older thread in here somewhere about using the Intex brand SWCG for pools larger than the 15,000 gallons they are meant for. After reading the thread and seeing how it worked, I decided to try it myself. Our pools are the same size. I have only used it for one full season and I'm currently working on getting the TA of my fill water low enough to use it again. It was a great convenience. I did have some issues with fittings in the beginning and struggled with hoses and connections disconnecting and draining pool water. Once I got that figured out it was great.

I'll see if I can find the old thread and post for you. At $140, the price is a lot easier to swallow. For a pool my size, I could replace it about every year and still save money. I bought mine at the end of the swimming season and it was marked down to $84 or something crazy cheap like that.

Re: Used Saltwater Generator - with a try?

Ask them to send you a video of the unit working including video of the box and cell serial numbers and them scrolling through the diagnostic readings.

Make payment contingent on you verifying that the unit actually works.

Also, if it's working so well, why are they selling it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.