used 2017 Dolphin M500, should I buy it?

Luvsummerict

Bronze Supporter
May 2, 2020
Kansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Zodiac LM3-24
I have a 15K Gal vinyl pool surrounded by trees with no auto cover. I'm looking into a robotic cleaner and came across a lady selling a Dolphin M500, she used it for 2 summers before selling that house. What's a good price? Could I get a new robot that meets my needs for cheaper? She has it posted for $825. I told her I'd want to see it plugged in and turned on, but won't be able to see it in a pool until I get it home. Anything else I should look for? She has a receipt and manual. Thanks!

But be aware you can buy a brand new S200 for around $715 from Margaret at Marina Pool. Might be worth it to call her and get a recommendation for your exact pool type.

Reactions: rmontgomery
The S200 uses water jets to maintain contact with walls and propel itself upward. The M400 has a flotation handle which aids in movement up walls. The presence of the centrally-mounted flotation handle limits the space for a basket and Maytronics solves the problem by using two mesh cartridges. The S200 has more flexibility allowing for an actual basket.

The S-series (and to confuse things, the new M600) basket is a breeze to empty and clean, which adds to its overall ease of use.

Luv,

In the past I have bought several used robots and had good luck with all of them..

That said, they were all in the less than $200 buck range.. No way I would pay $800..

The S200 is the best robot that I have bought so far. (New not used)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Luvsummerict
This is what I'm thinking too, the cart and remote would be nice. But, if I can get an S200 for around $715 with free shipping and a warranty, that's a way safer bet. Thanks!

Luv,

In the past I have bought several used robots and had good luck with all of them..

That said, they were all in the less than $200 buck range.. No way I would pay $800..

The S200 is the best robot that I have bought so far. (New not used)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Luv,

The big thing here is the warranty.

Kind of similar to how people start getting rid of cars when the warranty expires.

I am new to these electric robots but everything I have seen indicates they could be costly to maintain.

I agree with Jim that if the used unit can be obtained at a low cost, then no worries.

I would lean more into buying a new bot staying between $700 and $1,000 depending on what bells and whistles are desired. A top basket is nice to have.

Some credit cards extend the warranty by 2 additional years.

Puertex

Last edited:
Reactions: Luvsummerict
The M500 is the older design and has a tiny basket, so may not be a good option for you with all the trees you describe. I would get a new S200/S300, or if you want top of the line go for M600. There is the benefit of the warranty...and as mentioned above the extended warranty with credit card (I know the citibank Costco card extends for 2 years additional).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.