Use of Cyclone Blower to close pool

I don't have a main drain in the pool and 1 skimmer w/2 returns so I believe this makes things a lil easier for me. :) Thanks for the assist.

Machiavelli:

The Cyclone is a great piece of machinery. Given your pool, you probably could have accomplished this by using the blow out plugs with the Schrader valves. Lowering water below the skimmers, using an air compressor, along with a shop vac for the skimmer, then clearing the return lines one at a time. You could have even isolated one return, or burped the system as well.

Could’a sworn I read all over that the pressure buildup was something to watch out for....now I can’t find it anywhere so maybe its not a big deal.

I believe you are referring to back pressure in the plumbing system from the unit being left on. If the unit is on and you close the last return, I would recommend highly that you shut off the unit immediately. My unit has to be shut down with a second hand as I can barely keep the winter plug level & tighten (#11 in the last step) almost 100 feet away. The unit is shut down and then I quickly tighten the last plug. There is always some free standing water in the pipes, but a real small amount is no big deal.

Machiavelli:

The Cyclone is a great piece of machinery. Given your pool, you probably could have accomplished this by using the blow out plugs with the Schrader valves. Lowering water below the skimmers, using an air compressor, along with a shop vac for the skimmer, then clearing the return lines one at a time. You could have even isolated one return, or burped the system as well.

@Cantazaro, i think you're 100% right, but i read so many great things about the cyclone, and not so many great reviews about different air compressors and shop vacs that first of all I dont owned any of these 2 items at my home, and with the wife not trusting me with closing the pool, that i felt safer just buying the cyclone vac to ensure water wld be flushed out haha

@Cantazaro, i think you're 100% right, but i read so many great things about the cyclone, and not so many great reviews about different air compressors and shop vacs that first of all I dont owned any of these 2 items at my home, and with the wife not trusting me with closing the pool, that i felt safer just buying the cyclone vac to ensure water wld be flushed out haha

You will be done in about 5 minutes after you lower the water below the skimmer. The Cyclone is great for clearing lines as long as there is an opening on the other end. I have a friend whose laundry room sink for some reason was so clogged that nothing worked. I used MA (muriatic acid) and took all the precautions, including a mask, goggles, gloves and long shirt. Used the Cyclone with the hose and within seconds the clog was gone. However the street smelled like MA. I have also used it to clear clogs in the central vac. system.

You will be done in about 5 minutes after you lower the water below the skimmer. The Cyclone is great for clearing lines as long as there is an opening on the other end. I have a friend whose laundry room sink for some reason was so clogged that nothing worked. I used MA (muriatic acid) and took all the precautions, including a mask, goggles, gloves and long shirt. Used the Cyclone with the hose and within seconds the clog was gone. However the street smelled like MA. I have also used it to clear clogs in the central vac. system.

Next time dump 3lbs bicarb to 1 gallon acid down sewer- so ya don’t get caught.

I did have one question for you experts, are there any benefits clearing the pipes from the pump vs skimmer on my particular setup? I read clearing from skimmer can/may cause leaks due to pressure from vacuum... What wld happen if i decided to clear the pipes from skimmer vs the pump? It seems from my understanding that if i clear from the skimmer area, that wld clear skimmer line & return lines at the same time...at this point once I start seeing the bubbles, i plug the returns and pretty much im done correct? Except of course removing the plugs from pump and filter area..
However if i clear lines from the pump, i wld 1st clear skimmer line, no need to plug anything at this point, then clear return lines and plug them, is that correct? Sorry for my simple dumb questions on this, haha u guys make it seem so simple and maybe im just overthinking it

Personally, I work from the pump as I have created a "modified cover". If the joints are "glued" properly, I would not have any issues working from the skimmer. PoolGuyCT may be able to clarify this better, but the Cyclone produces only about 5 PSI (somewhere around there) and that is not a lot of pressure. So whether you work from the skimmer or the basket, IMO makes no difference. This is not a burst of air, but a volume.

As James mentioned earlier,

The Cyclone will generate about 160 to 180 inches of water pressure, which is about 5.8 to 6.5 psi.

180 inches is 15 feet. So, that's the maximum water depth that it can blow out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Personally, I work from the pump as I have created a "modified cover". If the joints are "glued" properly, I would not have any issues working from the skimmer. PoolGuyCT may be able to clarify this better, but the Cyclone produces only about 5 PSI (somewhere around there) and that is not a lot of pressure. So whether you work from the skimmer or the basket, IMO makes no difference. This is not a burst of air, but a volume.

As James mentioned earlier,

The Cyclone will generate about 160 to 180 inches of water pressure, which is about 5.8 to 6.5 psi.

180 inches is 15 feet. So, that's the maximum water depth that it can blow out.

It doesn’t matter where you push from. This morning I blew a whole pool spa combo, from the spa drains by running the valves.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments, this is a great site!!! So, question about putting the "heavy duty" cover that you can walk on...do you guys use any of those special pool cover rollers? I read some good info here just wanted to see if you guys can share some tips/tricks to put the cover on...thanks again to all for having the patience with me :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.