Use my pool company's subcontractors or hire my own?

Nov 28, 2018
Michigan
Wanted to get thoughts on what others have done during construction. Basically it comes down to using my pool company's subcontractors and have them deal with the headaches of organizing, scheduling, etc. and pay a premium price for their services or find them myself and try to get everyone lined up and pay less.

Just for comparison's sake, I would be spending about 1500 more using his fence guy, 1600 more using his concrete guy, and I haven't even price compared electricians, plumbers, etc. I don't like spending extra money but wonder if the additional cost is worth it?

If I had to do it all over again, I would have chosen my own person for landscaping afterwards. My pool builder advertised as being "turn key" (and having everyone for everything). But some trades were great (concrete, plaster, electrical, plumbing, masonry) while others (landscaping, irrigation) were not. Just my 2 cents. The pool builder is good at building pools. Hire someone else do to the other fringe stuff. They will answer to YOU directly and not some project manager who won't care as much because it's not his or her personal home and the subcontractors just have no reason to go above and beyond or really try to make you happy. Just my two cents.

Reactions: martinezj1120
If you have the time to chase everyone down and make sure they're available when they're needed then go for it. The reason to having someone work as the general contractor is convenience; a point person who will make sure everything's on schedule and subs are there when they need to be. If you're willing to take over that task you will probably save money at the cost of added headache.

For me it's a matter of the perceived risk of having an issue to resolve. Fence - no big deal. I'd definitely contract that separately (I built my own). Decking - that involves a lot more risk and I'm happy to have the PB take that on. Landscaping - I would never let anyone else do that on my property (that's my thing).

If you have the time to chase everyone down and make sure they're available when they're needed then go for it. The reason to having someone work as the general contractor is convenience; a point person who will make sure everything's on schedule and subs are there when they need to be. If you're willing to take over that task you will probably save money at the cost of added headache.

Time is definitely a factor and I can't imagine the headaches chasing people down with all of the crazy weather we get in Michigan.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have chosen my own person for landscaping afterwards. My pool builder advertised as being "turn key" (and having everyone for everything). But some trades were great (concrete, plaster, electrical, plumbing, masonry) while others (landscaping, irrigation) were not. Just my 2 cents. The pool builder is good at building pools. Hire someone else do to the other fringe stuff. They will answer to YOU directly and not some project manager who won't care as much because it's not his or her personal home and the subcontractors just have no reason to go above and beyond or really try to make you happy. Just my two cents.

Definitively doing my own landscape!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.