Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Our pool is less than 1 year old and is our first IG pool. I never thought I'd have as many questions as I do... most of them the result of the (highly respected and rated) PB's errors and haste.

But my question today is straightforward.

One of my two VSF pumps is dedicated to the in floor cleaning jets (in valve position A) or the water features (in valve position B).
PB set up the pump to run at 2750 RPM when cleaning - - which generally results in a ~50GPM flow for each of the 4 zones. The flow rate increases to ~70 GPM when the multi-port valve is "bewteen" zones (with a commensurate increase in power consumption).

My question is: Is there any benefit (conversely, any harm) to program the pump to run at GPM (50 in my case) instead of setting the speed (presenly 2750 RPM). Using flow rate instead of speed would marginally reduce power consumption for the periods when the multi-valve is switching between cleaning zones. On the other hand, the pump would be changing speed twice - every minute or so - to maintain the 50 GPM setpoint; and I don't know if the repeating and frequent speed adjustments are detrimental to the pump's performance, reliability, or life.

Thoughts? -MM

MM,

I never recommend use the GPM settings. And in your case, I doubt it would save enough in a year to buy you a cup of coffee. :mrgreen:

What I would do is see if the current 2750 RPM is more than you need. Drop it back to 2000 and see if your IFCS still works ok, if it does, decrease it some more, if not increase it until it works the way you want.

Let's see if we can round up someone with IFCS experience. Calling @proavia and @bertschb

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: MisterMcD
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.