Urgent- Heat pump choice: Hayward vs AquaCal

tech135797531

Jun 14, 2019
FL
Dear friends.

I am in the middle of installing a 10,000 gal saltwater fiberglass pool (by San Juan). My installer's initial recommendation for an electric heat pump was the Hayward 21404t (140k BTU) but 2 days ago he came to me and said that his supplier is now carrying AquaCal products and he can get for the same price to me and a few hundred more to him an AquaCal HeatWave SuperQuiet SQ225a (143k BTU).

I spent the entire night looking for info on the AquaCal SQ225 and there are no reviews, not much info beyond technical specs. It does have the longer warranty (7 years vs 5 years). I was able to find very few reviews on the smaller AquaCal Superquiets (sq125 and sq166r) and it's mostly people who had issues, but again, very few. I know it has the longer warranty but I really don't want to have to call all the time and deal with the frustration of waiting for weeks or months to have it serviced. My pool installer says that he saw the guts and it looks well made, but he has never installed one before so he doesn't have much direct experience. But that's his recommendation. I just need to let him know by tomorrow.

So does anyone have any info that could help me make this choice? Should I go with a heat pump that seems to be well known and recommended (in the hayward) or go the AquaCal way? Your help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Heat pumps are all fairly similar in construction.

If it were me for close to even money I would go with AquaCal over Hayward. The AqualCal heat pump has a full 1 point greater COP than the Hayward. That is a huge difference in efficiency of the unit. Or in more plain terms The AquaCal uses 6.4kW of electricity to make 143kBTU of heat, while the Hayward uses 7.2kW of electricity to produce 140kBTU of heat. Over time this will add up to a lot of electricity.

Reactions: PeterG
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.