Upright Replacement

toddbrat

Jun 27, 2023
Kentucky
I know this has been asked before, but looking for more info. We had 4 uprights that were damaged due to high winds in KY this spring and now that we've finally sourced the parts looking for install advice. We have almost 1/2 of the pool partly buried about 1/2 way up. It is a 30ft round that was installed new in 2021. I'm thinking about draining 1/2 way, replacing the uprights, then completely empty due to the water and debris, it looks like a cess pool. My fear is we've had a lot of rain the past week and I'm concerned about the buried wall collapsing. I know the risk is higher if I change the liner, but I don't know if the liner helps provide any structural support. I'm not sure if I'd be better off just draining 1/2 way, refilling and then trying to filter it out. TIA!1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

if the liner helps provide any structural support.
Hi and welcome to TFP! T

The liner does not provide the support. It is the water inside the liner that "pushes" on the walls and keeps it where it belongs.

Me? I would replace your supports, clean out any and all organics you can scoop up, SLAM that bad boy SLAM Process

I don't understand how high winds did that to the support. To me it looks like someone/thing hit is and mushed it in.

Thank you for the info. We still had the winter cover on when the winds hit, it was the type with the steel cable that is supposed to keep it from blowing up in the wind. Wind ened up getting under the cover and it blew out some of the grommets. The force of the wind caused it to basically become a big sail/parachute and the pressure from that did the damage. I cut the steel cable during the windstorm but not soon enough. The last pic shows it still in the pool.

I was finally able to get an installer out yesterday, we've had issues with the original place we've been working with, and according to him since everything is still in the tracks he can replace the uprights one at a time without any issues. We'll see how it goes.

We have a pool again! I wanted to close the loop on this thread and provide an update. We were able to replace each upright individually without draining. I really thought they provide more structural support than what they appear to hold. I wouldn't trust taking them all off at once, but one at a time was no issue. So far we've used 6 gallons of shock and a lot of vacuuming, but we can see the bottom and where we still need to clean. Another solid day of that and, depending on the levels, we'll be in it by this weekend, at least to finish cleaning. Also, we started using a PoolRX after a bad yellow algea outbreak last year. I dropped a new one in the skimmer once I was able to turn the pump back on and within 24hrs I could tell most of the algae was dead.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.