Upgrading to Intelliflo VS

djust

Silver Supporter
Jun 22, 2016
Edmond, Oklahoma
Getting ready to remove my SuperFlo pump and replace it with an Intelliflo pump and I have to redo some plumbing.
The new pump suction line sits an inch higher than the pump that is there now and I plan to keep the original pump as a spare for the winter. My plan is to setup the plumbing so
I can switch the pumps without much work so I am going to buy some flexible 2" PVC and unions to be able to disconnect one and connect the other if needed. From what I have read the suction side of the pump needs a straight run 5 times longer than the diameter so that means I need
a 10" straight run of pipe feeding the pump. My pool builder connected my pump union right to the 90 degree elbow off my valves so I know it's not as long as it should be. I suppose the straight run of pipe going into the pump is to help with cavitation, but not sure why it needs a straight run into the pump.
The flexible PVC will only be about a foot long or so on the suction side and maybe 3 or 4 feet long feeding the filter.
Question for those that know, would this be a correct way to be able to disconnect one pump and hook up another without having to redo plumbing in the middle of the winter ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey there, Do you have a picture of your equipment pad so we can get a better idea of what your trying to do... I have used the flex PVC and it is not that flexible but to raise or lower an inch I do not see any problems :)

following this post is i am about ready to do the same. i remember reading some place where the lead in suction distance was not that critical. My current pump(want to save it as a spare like you) only has about 3 inch horizontal suction length. pipe dia is all 2 inch. all has been working fine for 10 years.

I did a minimalist peek at the downside of flex (searched this forum). Seems some don't like it underground because of pest infestations? Something eating it? And some don't like it above ground because of its tendency to get damaged by UV. Just FYI. You might hunt around on this forum for views about flex above ground.

If you get talked out of flex, I can offer a possible alternative (if the spacer idea doesn't fly). You could use a pair of well-placed unions in front of and behind the pump connection, with two sets of pipe configurations that then mate with the two different pumps. It's a little hard to describe, but basically you'd be able to use all PVC pipe (no flex) and have one set that mates to one pump, and a different set that mates to the other, but both sets mate to the two unions at the same level. If any of that makes sense. The swap out would be very easy (two unions), and wouldn't require you to try and reshape stubborn flex each time you swapped.

That is a very nice pad. Simple, clean, very professionally done, great access to everything. We don't see that often.

Reactions: cowboycasey
That is what I was thinking Dirk, using flex pvc, two pieces for each pump with unions so I can just swap out the flex lines with the pump if when I need to. Flex will be short and all above ground and visible to see if there is a problem.
Not all that fond of how my pool builder did the plumbing but I did all the electrical for the pad, thanks for the kind words.

I'm not sure why we don't see flex on a pad, but we don't. Seems like it would be a good way to get rid of a lot of elbows and joints, but it's just not done. I think you're on to a solution. I was just suggesting you explore the forum for thoughts about that material.

Whatever you end up with, a coat of paint on the PVC will give it a little extra UV protection (hard to see in the pic if that's already been done or not).

What's up with the black wrapping?

Ah, a regional thing? No dire need out west, plus my pump has freeze protection that circulates the water in the pipes at 35° or below... I think our EasyTouches do that as well. If yours doesn't you might need to add the temp sender, which is easy and cheap.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.