Upgrading to a Variable Speed Pump

pike1181

Jun 12, 2023
Katy, TX
I currenly have a Jandy Pro Series Stealth pool pump and had been reading about Variable speed pumps.
This pump is about 5 years old. Is it worth upgrading to a Variable speed pump?
If yes, any suggestions on what brand/model to purchase and what hp? Pool is about 27,000 gallons + Spa and a 400,000 BTU heater. My guess is 3hp. Also how do you determine what settings to conigure on the pump speed/timing for it to optimize it?
I feel like my jets aren't powerful enough as I tried connecting a Polaris 360 to one of the jets and it didn't have enough oomph to get the right number of wheel turns per minute. I purchased restrictors for my jets and that helped a bit but still not enough to get the right number of wheel turns.
It looks like a fairly simply DIY to unscrew the current plumbing and electrical from the pump and just screw in the new one or am I mistaken?
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    363.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    522.5 KB · Views: 8
Pike,

Do you have an automation system? If so, it is best to buy the same brand as your automation.

Bigger is always better when it comes to VS pumps. They are really Variable Horsepower pumps, so you just adjust the HP/Speed to match what you want to do.

Cost wise is has a lot to do with how long you run your current single speed pump.

As a reference, I run my 3 HP IntelliFlo 24/7, mostly at 1200 RPM and it costs me less than $20 bucks a month.

The only downside to a VS pump is the initial cost. In some areas, your electrical provider will actually provide you with a rebate.

Thanks,

Jim R.

With a VS pump make sure you run it fast enough when you are using your heater to keep the burner from kicking off and on. Less likely of an issue would be running the pump to fast and putting to much water through the heater (might need to add an external bypass)

I have attached pictures of my current equipment.
I was considering the Pentair Intelliflo3 VSF with I/O board.
Would that work with my current setup? Would it eliminate the use of my control panel on the wall? I currently use the panel to switch to spa mode with the automatic diverters, run the pump manually, set the timer, drain the spa, or shut off the pump.
The switches for lights and bubbles are located in my garage and only control the lights and spa jets. Heater and Aux buttons are not connected but it would be nice if I could control it all without having to cough up more money to go with full automation.
There is a seperate single light switch in my garage as well to turn on and off the waterfall feature.
Ive read a few posts on here about the whole Jandy vs Pentair pumps and it seems that they're both top of the line and a matter of personal preference and whether or not I want a pool company to maintenance it (Jandy) or anyone (Pentair).
Also, should I be replacing my water feature pump as well if there's nothing wrong with it? AFAIK the previous owner had already replaced it and installed this one a few years back.

Attachments

• IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    526.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0093.JPG
    IMG_0093.JPG
    360.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    349.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0091.jpg
    IMG_0091.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0090.JPG
    IMG_0090.JPG
    493.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    612.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0095.JPG
    IMG_0095.JPG
    374.3 KB · Views: 9
I'm no expert in all of this, but I will say if you are worried about the jets not being powerful enough with a single speed pump, it will be much worse at lower speeds.

The intelliflo3 with I/o only has 2 low amp relays usually used for lights, swg, heater. It will not control actuators or any high amp features. Since you don’t have a compatible aqualink rs I would go with the intelliflo3 and upgrade automation to intellicenter.

Reactions: pike1181
The intelliflo3 with I/o only has 2 low amp relays usually used for lights, swg, heater. It will not control actuators or any high amp features. Since you don’t have a compatible aqualink rs I would go with the intelliflo3 and upgrade automation to intellicenter.
Would I still be able to use my current control panel with the Intelliflo3 to control the actuators and spa jets if the pump can't handle it? or if I move to a Variable pump, I need to move to an automated system? I ask because the automated system is something I've wanted to do but it's not in the budget at the moment and I think replacing my pump is more important. I would hate to have to buy another single speed pump and then upgrade again in a year or 2 to a variable speed. My pump is nearing its end of life and I want to replace it (hopefully with something more energy efficient in the long term) before it becomes an emergency.

Would I still be able to use my current control panel with the Intelliflo3 to control the actuators and spa jets if the pump can't handle it?
Yes the timer is the only thing that will be bypassed, all programming will done on your phone for the pump until you are ready to upgrade automation. Keep in mind you’ll have to practice a cooldown period manually(running pump 5mins after heater shuts down) and running appropriate speed during the time the heater is running. The unions will not be compatible and the return side of filter may or may not need to altered slightly to accommodate intelliflo3.

Reactions: pike1181

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.