Upgrading from an Intex to AGP - need insight!

May 12, 2017
S. E Michigan
Our Intex lasted us only 3 seasons. By the time we opened it up last season we knew it would be the last due to the amount of rust and corrosion. We feel we got our moneys worth and wanted to test the waters of being pool owners. We took it down last season and are now ready to purchase a more permanent above ground pool.

Over the weekend I went to a pool show. To be up front, I am not looking for a pool to last a lifetime. I would be happy with something lasting 5-10 years. This is simply because our family is not in our forever home. In fact, we are currently searching for a new home but I am extremely picky and have found nothing I loved. I decided that we cant put 'living" on hold and we want to put up a pool because well, maybe we just make our current house work. I will add...I have no desire to ever move a pool after installation. We will be contracting a pool installer and have no desire to do the work after doing our intex install, lol.

So, here are our options:

Doughboy Autumn Breeze (Resin) OR Doughboy Copper Canyon (Steel) - Both are pricing the same
The store is including a 20MIL liner as well as 13" 1hp pump that has a 5 year warranty. They also offer additional packages that include ladders, chemical startups, covers and skimmer/return packages. All items included with this pool would be doughboy branded. We upgraded some things on our intex that I am hoping to re use with our new pool like our resin ladder and solar cover. This pool package would cost about $2625 with instal being about another $1k

Sharkline Grenada (Resin/steel) This is the most cost effective option. It too comes with a pool package, but here are where my questions arise. They are including a 125sg ft filter pump (2hp 2 speed pump), ladder, skimmer, vacuum, brush etc. They were very much for the filter VS sand pump which is what we are used to with our intex (actually never had a filter pump with the intex). They said the filter replacements are $65.00 and you would probably go through 2 per season ( I am in Michigan) This pool plus package runs about $2k and then probably close to 1K for install. The filter system on this one scares me because i am more familiar with sand.

Carvin Gold Series ( Resin ) includes 25g liner, wall skimmer for $2325.
You can add a 1Hp sand filter with Zeosand for $269 additional. This pool is attractive from the outside. They are including lighting verticals worth 1k if i purchase now with the show going on - or an upgraded sand pump if i didn't want lighting. I also told them i used a salt system so they quoted me for a hayward $599. This is definitely the most costly, but most attractive exterior pool. And quite honestly, because I am anticipating this not being a forever pool, it seems this wouldn't be the best option. Plus installation.

So, I think here are my general questions. With pools, do name brands really matter? Are pool packages ever worth adding on since I may end up upgrading anyways ( I dont want a crappy vacuum, chemical startups etc.)? Should I have a concern about a filtered system VS sand?

These are all priced 18x52 pools.

is there anything I should know when upgrading from an 18x62 Intex pool to a steel/resin based pool?

I would go with the resin for sure. That cuts down on the rust issues down the road.

Another must is a 2 speed pump. It will save you quite a bit on your power bill. I almost always run mine on low speed. High is only when I add in chemicals to help mix them in faster.

I LOVE my sand filter and will always have one. It is just so easy to clean as you learned. No it is not the best for getting the tiny stuff but you can add DE to help it filter better for the tiny stuff.

You can still use your SWG you had with the old pool. You might have to run the filter a bit longer or top off with liquid chlorine as needed.

With you already having some things like the ladder I would price out what you don't have and how much it would cost to buy it. Compare it to how much it would cost as a package and go from there.

Kim:kim:

I would go with the resin for sure. That cuts down on the rust issues down the road.

Another must is a 2 speed pump. It will save you quite a bit on your power bill. I almost always run mine on low speed. High is only when I add in chemicals to help mix them in faster.

I LOVE my sand filter and will always have one. It is just so easy to clean as you learned. No it is not the best for getting the tiny stuff but you can add DE to help it filter better for the tiny stuff.

You can still use your SWG you had with the old pool. You might have to run the filter a bit longer or top off with liquid chlorine as needed.

With you already having some things like the ladder I would price out what you don't have and how much it would cost to buy it. Compare it to how much it would cost as a package and go from there.

Kim:kim:

Never thought of the advantages of a two speed pump like that. I guess we were just used to setting the timer and forgetting about it. to be honest, I never really looked at my electric bill to see how much it was affected.

As for the SWG, if we go with the doughboy, unfortunately it would void the warranty. So if we go with doughboy, we would not be able to do Salt water...but that company is also pushing the Frog which i know from my readings here is not recommended.

All good advice. We will do just that this week and price things out individually with what we need. The doughboy is our front runner right now and a lot of it has to do with the store and salesman. He was not high pressured which was appreciated...the other thing appealing to the doughboy pool is the abundance of information i can find online about it VS the other pools.

would go with the resin for sure. That cuts down on the rust issues down the road
Also, because it will still be going strong in a few years, it will be a selling point if you do decide to sell. For a little extra money, The more attractive pool will not only be attractive while you enjoy it, but also might woo the potential buyer a little more.

Reactions: Anjayla0021
I have a bit more to add but first "Hi neighbor"! I wish I had been able to go to the show. It's fun to dream. :wave:

We've had our Doughboy for 12 years, just did some rehab on it summer of '18.

It's a little bit confusing when you wrote "filter vs sand pump".
To clarify, there is either a sand filter, DE filter or cartridge filter.
The pump is either for AGP or inground pool and its the same for any of the filter mediums you use.
We use sand (my sister in Livonia used a cartridge filter and it was a lot of work). You'll need two cartridges - one in the filter and one out of the filter when it needs cleaning. That way you don't have to wait to run the pump while you clean the filter.

I just looked it up. The Doughboy is a resin frame and top rails but still steel wall. Make sure they told you that correctly. Maybe this info is wrong. Make sure to check it out.

25g and 20MIL liners are not the same think. The 20 MIL is thicker and better than a 25g (although that sounds better). I'd posted the difference previously last year or the year before, but I'm not sure where that post might be. If you google it, you might find it.

Make sure they sell you butterfly gaskets and don't believe anyone who says to cut and separate them. They will save the skimmer and return openings of the pool wall from rusting quickly.

Right now I can't think of anything else. I'd like to be curious and ask what store you are buying from but I'm not sure that would be okay on the forum. You can PM me if you like.

Even in Michigan, we sure do enjoy our pools for the 3-4-5 ish months we get of swimming weather. :thumleft:

I have a bit more to add but first "Hi neighbor"! I wish I had been able to go to the show. It's fun to dream. :wave:

We've had our Doughboy for 12 years, just did some rehab on it summer of '18.

It's a little bit confusing when you wrote "filter vs sand pump".
To clarify, there is either a sand filter, DE filter or cartridge filter.
The pump is either for AGP or inground pool and its the same for any of the filter mediums you use.
We use sand (my sister in Livonia used a cartridge filter and it was a lot of work). You'll need two cartridges - one in the filter and one out of the filter when it needs cleaning. That way you don't have to wait to run the pump while you clean the filter.

I just looked it up. The Doughboy is a resin frame and top rails but still steel wall. Make sure they told you that correctly. Maybe this info is wrong. Make sure to check it out.

25g and 20MIL liners are not the same think. The 20 MIL is thicker and better than a 25g (although that sounds better). I'd posted the difference previously last year or the year before, but I'm not sure where that post might be. If you google it, you might find it.

Make sure they sell you butterfly gaskets and don't believe anyone who says to cut and separate them. They will save the skimmer and return openings of the pool wall from rusting quickly.

Right now I can't think of anything else. I'd like to be curious and ask what store you are buying from but I'm not sure that would be okay on the forum. You can PM me if you like.

Even in Michigan, we sure do enjoy our pools for the 3-4-5 ish months we get of swimming weather. :thumleft:

I'll send you a message!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.