Upgrading a SuperPump 3/4HP to dual speed

jparr

Jun 12, 2010
I have a Hayward 3/4HP Superpump that is starting to get noisy. Since we pay about $0.30/kwh, the two speed pumps looks attractive. Can I upgrade this pump by just replacing the motor and the timer, or should the whole thing be swapped out? The pump is used for a 20k gal chlorine pool with one skimmer, blocked main drain, two returns, and a Hayward EC65 DE filter. All plumbing is 1.5"

If the wet end is in good shape (i.e. you're not having pumping problems) then it would certainly be worth changing out the motor to a 2-speed. That's exactly what I intend to do as soon as our motor starts giving problems.

I'm also in the process of this. Right now, I'm trying to find a company that will ship the motor to Guam for a reasonable price. Every quote I've gotten so far, the price of shipping is more than the price of the motor :shock:

Did this in March w/ a 1 HP Superpump-- was an easy job. Just be sure you understand the wiring for a 2 speed. I used a "canopy toggle switch" on the motor end cap or canopy to manually change speeds, but I think getting a 2-speed timer as you suggest would be very convenient! Good luck-- you'll be glad you upgraded.

jparr said:
I have a Hayward 3/4HP Superpump that is starting to get noisy. Since we pay about $0.30/kwh, the two speed pumps looks attractive. Can I upgrade this pump by just replacing the motor and the timer, or should the whole thing be swapped out? The pump is used for a 20k gal chlorine pool with one skimmer, blocked main drain, two returns, and a Hayward EC65 DE filter. All plumbing is 1.5"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.