upgrade pump or not?

Jul 7, 2016
Londonderry/NH
Currently I have my 1HP Hayward Super pump with only one speed/ 3450RPM. My question is, in trying to reduce electrical costs, and not having any extras on my pool as of yet, should I look in to just replacing with a 2-speed? or a VS?

I am looking to add SWCG next season if the wallet allows. Other than that, no heater or crazy jets. Just 1 skimmer, main drain, and 3 returns.

Bonus info, through New Hampshire saves, i can get a $500 rebate on alot of VS pumps, and a $200 rebate on 2-speed pumps.

Thanks in advance!

Generally takes a few years to break even on the electrical costs.

Does the rebate require professional installation? Because often the entire rebate is offset by the higher pump mark-up and installation. Meaning often it is cheaper to buy online and install yourself, although there are warranty implications with that as well.

How long do your run your pump each day? Just reducing run time to a couple hours per day can often save quite a bit. But it depends on how you are chlorinating the pool.

But with a $500 rebate, that may be the way to go.

Ryan,

If you plan to get a SWCG in the future, then with your size pool, you will need a VS or a 2-speed pump for sure. You will have to run your pump for a relatively long time to generate the amount of chlorine needed for your pool.

I personally like VS pumps because you can run them at exactly the speed that works best for you, but it will take longer to recover the initial costs vs. a 2-speed pump, which saves almost the same amount of electrical power.

A one HP single speed pump uses about 1,720 Watts per hour... My 3 HP VS pump, running at 1200 RPM only uses 175 Watts per hour..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Truth be told, I currently don't have a timer on my pool and have been running 24/7 since my SLAM ended a couple weeks ago.

Jim, with a VS, would I have to jump up in size for HP? go with a 1.5HP? or bigger?

Ryan,

Most VS pumps have either 1.5" plumbing and are rated for 1.5 HP or they have 2" plumbing and are rated at 3 HP.. (Not exact, but in that ballpark range anyway)

You really can't go too big with VS pump... They are rated at Max HP... They really should be called Variable Horsepower pumps, as in a way, that is exactly what they are, you only use the HP you need at the moment.

Kind of like your car.. You can take it to the drag strip on Sunday, and still drive it through a school zone on Monday... :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

fair enough, I'll verify my plumbing size, but I'm pretty sure its 1.5"

- - - Updated - - -

How long do your run your pump each day? Just reducing run time to a couple hours per day can often save quite a bit. But it depends on how you are chlorinating the pool.

But with a $500 rebate, that may be the way to go.

Chlorinating at multiple times of day. I usually test in the morning, and dose if needed. My wife usually tests in the evening, and doses if necessary.
Right now, pump is 24/7 I know that's not helping my case.

so it seems that my pipe is 1.5".
I just puurchased a jandy valve that I will be replacing an old Hayward valve with to eliminate an air leak over the weekend.

I stopped into my local pool company today since they a re a hayward dealer, and on my list of companies for the pump rebate. (Seems to only exist for brick & motor stores) and asked for a price on a new VS pump.
He said "$1800 (no idea what model or anything), do you have a salt system?" I said no, but was planning on it next season. He said they don't work with the salt systems, always low flow errors. I told him that the speeds could be adjusted to satisfy the salt system, and he said "no".

I was very tempted to go on a TFPC rant, but decided against it.

With that being said, anyone experience those issues with a salt system that they were not able to correct by adjusting run speeds/salt on a timer?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Total nonsense. You can adjust the flow rate for any SWG. May not be as low as the pump can go but it will keep the SWG happy.

Also, you might want to avoid the EcoStar if that is what they are trying to sell you. Many on the forum have had issues with that pump. The other Hayward pumps seem to be fine though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.