UPDATED: With NEW K-2006 Numbers: Where to start with SLAM??

srm0112

Apr 13, 2021
Tennessee
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all!

New the forum here. Purchased a house last year that came with a 24,000 gal above ground pool with a Perma Salt system. I read before opening this year that those are frowned upon, so when we opened the pool, we decided to switch to a straight chlorine! I don't think we have added enough of the things we need, though. The other and maybe bigger issue, I think, lies in the problem we closed with and, in turn, opened with. After reading through a crazy amount of posts, I came upon this one:

We have this EXACT problem!!! I thought it was mustard algae so shocked and shocked and shocked again, and then added algaecide, and then clarifier, and then the water was clear and I could see the vinyl at the bottom with the random spots. I have already spent a small fortune with what I thought we needed, but I think (based on this post) we need to start "new" with SLAM. I want to put this out there first:

1. We've been using a 6-way test strip to test the water. I just purchased the Taylor K-2006 and it should be here Tuesday to do this the right way.
2. When we shocked last (on 4/22) we used liquid chlorine, and I have 4 gallons of it ready to use and can get more as needed.
3. I've filtered 24 hours nonstop for about 4 days and still have these sinking "poofs" that come up when I brush.
4. I've learned that we have a sand filter with mulitport valve system and what each of them do.
5. I've been reading and reading and reading and realized we need a chlorine stabilizer and purchased one bag of dry, but need 2 more.
6. We just have a manual vacuum.
7. My last levels taken today : FC: 1, TC: 3, pH: 7.2, TA: 120, CYA: 0, TH: 250 (all based on Clorox 6 way test strips)

I'm sure there is more to add, but thats where we are currently, and it's a rainy day in East TN. I just need help on what to do next to get started the RIGHT way!!! I will add pictures of where we are currently once it stops raining :)

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Hello all!

New the forum here. Purchased a house last year that came with a 24,000 gal above ground pool with a Perma Salt system. I read before opening this year that those are frowned upon, so when we opened the pool, we decided to switch to a straight chlorine! I don't think we have added enough of the things we need, though. The other and maybe bigger issue, I think, lies in the problem we closed with and, in turn, opened with. After reading through a crazy amount of posts, I came upon this one:

We have this EXACT problem!!! I thought it was mustard algae so shocked and shocked and shocked again, and then added algaecide, and then clarifier, and then the water was clear and I could see the vinyl at the bottom with the random spots. I have already spent a small fortune with what I thought we needed, but I think (based on this post) we need to start "new" with SLAM. I want to put this out there first:

1. We've been using a 6-way test strip to test the water. I just purchased the Taylor K-2006 and it should be here Tuesday to do this the right way.
2. When we shocked last (on 4/22) we used liquid chlorine, and I have 4 gallons of it ready to use and can get more as needed.
3. I've filtered 24 hours nonstop for about 4 days and still have these sinking "poofs" that come up when I brush.
4. I've learned that we have a sand filter with mulitport valve system and what each of them do.
5. I've been reading and reading and reading and realized we need a chlorine stabilizer and purchased one bag of dry, but need 2 more.
6. We just have a manual vacuum.
7. My last levels taken today : FC: 1, TC: 3, pH: 7.2, TA: 120, CYA: 0, TH: 250 (all based on Clorox 6 way test strips)

I'm sure there is more to add, but thats where we are currently, and it's a rainy day in East TN. I just need help on what to do next to get started the RIGHT way!!! I will add pictures of where we are currently once it stops raining I also posted this in the algae forum, but I think it’s a chemistry issue!!

Thanks so much!

Wait until you get your K-2006C test kit and then post your test results.

Until then add 5ppm of liquid chlorine in your pool every day.

You download PoolMath ?

Do you have dry stabilizer and a stock of liquid chlorine?

Review the SLAM Process and ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Wait until you get your K-2006C test kit and then post your test results.

Until then add 5ppm of liquid chlorine in your pool every day.

You download PoolMath ?

Do you have dry stabilizer and a stock of liquid chlorine?
I did download the pool math app! I have dry stabilizer, but pool math is telling me to add 9 lb and I only have 4. Do I need to add the stabilizer prior to adding 5 ppm of liquid chlorine daily? I have 4 gallons of liquid chlorine!

6 lbs of stabilizer will raise your 24,000 gallon pool to CYA 30. Buy a few more punds of stabilizer to have.

Don't add the stabilizer until you get your K-2006 and have a good test for your CYA.

Just add the 5ppm of liquid chlorine daily.

1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine will add FC 4.2 to your 24,000 gallon pool.

Pour in one gallon a day.

6 lbs of stabilizer will raise your 24,000 gallon pool to CYA 30. Buy a few more punds of stabilizer to have.

Don't add the stabilizer until you get your K-2006 and have a good test for your CYA.

Just add the 5ppm of liquid chlorine daily.
1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine will add FC 4.2 to your 24,000 gallon pool.

Pour in one gallon a day.
Ok! I will start doing 1 gallon of liquid chlorine daily and post test results as soon as I get new test kit!! Will also get more stabilizer in the meantime and current pool picture. With this mustard or dead algae at the bottom, do I also need to brush daily? Thank you!!

I doubt you have mustard algae but we will see...

Brushing daily breaks the biofilm on the algae and lets the chlorine attack the algae. The chlorine will be more effective with frequent brushing.

I doubt you have mustard algae but we will see...

Brushing daily breaks the biofilm on the algae and lets the chlorine attack the algae. The chlorine will be more effective with frequent brushing.
I’m going to do what you’ve recommended until we get kit and real results, and then reconvene ☺️ Thank you so much

You are doing the right things. LC daily, brush and run the pump 24/7. Backwash the filter when the pressure rises 25% over "clean" pressure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you all. I figured out today that we have a two speed pump. Put on a new filter gauge yesterday as ours wasn’t working. It’s been on low for a week, and showed 3 psi yesterday, and when I switched it to high speed today with 15 psi. Are these normal, and which speed should I have it on?

Thank you all. I figured out today that we have a two speed pump. Put on a new filter gauge yesterday as ours wasn’t working. It’s been on low for a week, and showed 3 psi yesterday, and when I switched it to high speed today with 15 psi. Are these normal, and which speed should I have it on?

What type and model filter do you have?

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

Those psi sound reasonable.

If all of your equipment works on low speed then it saves you electrical cost.

I have a VSP. In general I use both a normal low speed mode to save power, 20 hours a day, and then a high speed mode to skim the pool in the morning and the evening. My low speed is 1050 RPM (40 GPM), which is just enough to allow my SWG to work. High speed is 2800 RPM or about 100 GPM.

It doesn’t have any sticker with logo except for on the pump trap with a “W” which I’m assuming is Waterway, and a sticker on the pump that says HP 2.0. I just want to make sure I’m doing the right things as I wait for new test kit and figure out what to do next.

These are pictures of the pump. I’m also going to attach images of what I’m working with in regard to the pool. Still haven’t received test kit, supposed to be here by tomorrow.

Attachments

• 09DFA3F8-6972-413F-84B5-3050563AFBC7.jpeg
    09DFA3F8-6972-413F-84B5-3050563AFBC7.jpeg
    743.5 KB · Views: 10
  • FA3DA64C-C1CF-43F8-8781-EA9005513C20.jpeg
    FA3DA64C-C1CF-43F8-8781-EA9005513C20.jpeg
    590.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 1101090B-88CA-420B-B704-42B8ABE8D6F6.jpeg
    1101090B-88CA-420B-B704-42B8ABE8D6F6.jpeg
    509.2 KB · Views: 10
This is the pool prior to turning on pump this morning. You can see what I’m assuming is dead algae in the bottom, and it has improved significantly, but still there.

Attachments

• BEF3F078-A250-45E9-B2C6-0882216B1B88.jpeg
    BEF3F078-A250-45E9-B2C6-0882216B1B88.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 621411CC-BFC1-4BE1-A0E0-67B5D4A6AEA7.jpeg
    621411CC-BFC1-4BE1-A0E0-67B5D4A6AEA7.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 9
This is after I turned pump on. Water got cloudy, or pump stirred up what is at the bottom.

Attachments

• 1348BB73-D3E0-4544-8235-859F388CF74C.jpeg
    1348BB73-D3E0-4544-8235-859F388CF74C.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 1B22A104-3413-4D84-96D4-4C8F03D092F7.jpeg
    1B22A104-3413-4D84-96D4-4C8F03D092F7.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 5
Keep running the pump and keep the chlorine up. Clean filter (backwash for sand) when the filter pressure is 25% above the clean filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.