Updated-Contract signed & started construction

Thanks for the tip on flagstone. We went and looked at a pool with flagstone and opted to change to bullnose travertine.

Oh, just spotted flagstone coping. Tough one. I loooove the look of my flagstone, but it's been a challenge. Flagstone is basically compressed sand. It can flake and/or releases sand. Mine does both. Putting your feet or hands or butt in a puddle of sand while getting in and out is not all that fun. And the cleaner has to deal with it, of course, 'cause it gets into the pool. I believe there are quarries that produce flagstone without these issues, but mine is not from one of those! I had to treat the stone with a veeeerrrry expensive sealer (like $3K for a small pool, regular stone/paver sealer does nothing), that all but eliminated the sand problem. But it still flakes some. So if yours does what mine does, there is a semi-solution. Short of that, I don't know how to steer you to "the good stuff." Perhaps your PB knows of this, or others here know what to do about this potential problem.

Also, the way my stone was installed was with a very rough, organic edge to it. Looks great, but it's like broken stone (it is broken stone). I keep thinking one of the kids is going to bang into that, or scrape against it somehow and end up with a much worse wound than a smooth edge would have caused (though in five years that hasn't happened, so it could be a worry for nothing). Something to think about and talk with your designer about.

It's not comfortable to lean against, like from a bench or your shelf. Is this what you're getting:

View attachment 125140

LOVE your pool materials picks! Man that is going to be SO pretty!!! For the row of 1x1 tile on the benches and such have them use the plaster as "grout" so it blends in with the rest of the plaster.

Not sure what you mean about the decking not looking correct? Let me know what you mean please.

Kim:kim:

"Not sure it looks correct" seems to be code for you dont like it. Let your pool builder know ASAP before they install.

I'm guessing you dont love the pitting? Our travertine has some smaller pitting (as does all) but its not as pronounced as your pics.

I was referring to the travertine coping tiles when I said, “not sure it looks correct.” The very large pitting in the travertine coping is not to our tastes. Our builder said they could pull the ones that have large pits and fill in the smaller ones with the “sanded?” mortar. Here’s a picture of a sample they did for us. They said it would be filled in completely-this was a sample to give us an idea of the appearance afterwards.

The builder said if they have more than 25% pulled they would have to return and choose something different. Is another type of travertine less pitted? This is our first experience with travertine.

Thanks so much for the input. It’s very reassuring.

Attachments

• 89374A08-BF8E-4108-9AEC-49936A8F04CE.jpeg
    89374A08-BF8E-4108-9AEC-49936A8F04CE.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 20
Travertine is going to have pitting, but those samples you have are pretty pronounced. Here is a close up of ours that shows the pitting, but there are not the large clusters or long pits like I see in yours.

I would suggest making a trip to the supplier and look at the actual pallets of travertine you would have. Then you can see if the heavy pitting is throughout the majority of them, or is it something where it is a small % that can be excluded like your PB mentioned.

IMG_6127.jpg

Reactions: Freibad and kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.