Update Pool Decking

Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Walpole, MA
My pool is about 20 years old now and the decking which is just plain concrete is showing it's age.
I power wash it each year, but it just doesn't look great.
I would love to be able to replace it with a nicer look.
Could I have someone just take off the top layer and replace with something nicer?

Has anyone done this, and if so what was involved.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

I dont know any TFPers who have done it, but yes.

The process is knows a skim coating, resurfacing and a few other words. (Google that on you tube).

The two primary methods are just skimming over the top of the existing concrete - or - grinding off a bit of it and reapplying. The trick to the longeviety of the skim coat will depend on how well the old surface is prepped and whether or not a bonding agent is applied prior to putting down the skim coat.

Our Facilities folks where I work skim coated a long concrete walkway about 15 years ago, and it was nice. About 5 years later, the skim coat started cracking and not long after that, it started coming off in places .

My pool is about 20 years old now and the decking which is just plain concrete is showing it's age.
Could I have someone just take off the top layer and replace with something nicer?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

Reactions: Dimes

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

Have you considered using a good quality outdoor concrete paint? There are also epoxy based concrete coatings that are used in garages that are quite thin and can give a new look, without requiring demo.

I applied Encore Cool! to my deck in July of last year, and so far I've been pretty happy with it. You can tint it to whatever color you like using a gallon of paint and it's fairly easy to apply.

They claim that rust stains can just be hosed off, but I got some really nasty ones over the winter from some rusting plant stands that did not hose off. However, I got a brush and some mild abrasive scrub (like SoftScrub) and it came right up. I plan to clean the entire deck in the coming weeks and re-seal it for the summer.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.