Update! Plaster done and filling! N.C. Build

ncpoolguy

Bronze Supporter
Jul 1, 2020
North Carolina
We just got word that excavation starts tomorrow! So I just spent the last few hours removing plants and a fence for access, fun stuff. I've attached our final blue print. There are certainly some items that need correction (equipment pad is opposite side, pool decking is blueprint doesn't match picture) but I'm not sure if that stuff is necessary to bring up just for excavation. Please take a look and see if you see anything glaringly wrong.

Thanks!Pool blueprint .jpg

Ditto on the pump, you want a variable or at least a 2 speed pump to save you $. Also, 2 returns on a pool that size seems low, especially since you do not have any bubblers or anything else. I would expect there to be between 4 and 6 returns.

Updated signature! Thanks for the info on returns, we did increase the width by 3' which changed our total gallons from 14k to 17k, maybe at 14k they thought 2 returns was enough? I will ask the builder if he thinks we need more since we made it larger

Excavation just finished today...what an interesting 3 days.

-The crew almost walked off day one when the upgraded 3’ width for our pool wasn’t in the blueprint—turns out the specs hadn’t been updated but the measurements had.
-They found 4 stumps
-They realized our 9 foot wing wall needed an additional 15 feet, so that was a fun $2300 surprise :mad:.

The excavator was extremely knowledgeable (a former owner of a pool building company) and had honestly been more helpful than our project manager which really made me wish he was the one building our pool lol.
Here are some pics:

20996DD1-63E9-4D8F-9DAA-EB2148ADAF67.jpeg
8D65563F-796F-48FC-9FDB-C6300AC398C2.jpeg
D7873E26-0A08-45DE-84AB-ED17C367DE9D.jpeg
4F0DA23A-AA6F-4884-B407-0B51D39A745C.jpeg
E17A7C0C-F5D7-4806-91E6-E6E67FEFD64C.jpeg

Attachments

• DC4CFB6B-3C82-4280-BB63-8D2AF1A78F93.jpeg
    DC4CFB6B-3C82-4280-BB63-8D2AF1A78F93.jpeg
    449.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 9AD5C176-C29F-4210-99A8-B409CC47B7FD.jpeg
    9AD5C176-C29F-4210-99A8-B409CC47B7FD.jpeg
    412.7 KB · Views: 18
Congrats on getting to excavation. I'm using the same builder but obviously a different division as I'm in PA. Currently waiting on permits after waiting 6 weeks for engineering plans. The whole industry is swamped this year.

You have a great looking design. Good luck, and I hope your build is smooth and easy. I'll enjoy following along.

Congrats on getting to excavation. I'm using the same builder but obviously a different division as I'm in PA. Currently waiting on permits after waiting 6 weeks for engineering plans. The whole industry is swamped this year.

You have a great looking design. Good luck, and I hope your build is smooth and easy. I'll enjoy following along.
Thank you!
Yes the design certainly has some dimensions to it that we love. The raised wall in the front and stairs were added after the meet and greet. Since we had pushed the pool back 3 feet and widened it 3 more feet we had to change the design. That was a fun 10k surprise.

Wow 6 weeks for plans?! PA must be more busy than NC. Have they given you estimates for build time? They had increased excavation wait time to 1 month out (after meet and greet) we somehow lucked out and got it after 2 weeks. Total project is said to be 12-14 weeks.

Thank you!
Yes the design certainly has some dimensions to it that we love. The raised wall in the front and stairs were added after the meet and greet. Since we had pushed the pool back 3 feet and widened it 3 more feet we had to change the design. That was a fun 10k surprise.

Wow 6 weeks for plans?! PA must be more busy than NC. Have they given you estimates for build time? They had increased excavation wait time to 1 month out (after meet and greet) we somehow lucked out and got it after 2 weeks. Total project is said to be 12-14 weeks.
Everyone here is backlogged. The builders, the engineers, the code enforcement offices. We submitted for permits 3 weeks ago, still no word.

I've been told by the builder 6 weeks once they break ground, but having experience with construction projects in my line of work I always add at least 50% to whatever the preliminary time line given is. If it takes 9-10 weeks or even longer it really makes no difference as I don't think we'll have them plaster until the Spring at this point.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice looking dig... Do you have your surface water drainage figured out yet? Looks like there might be a problem spot between wing wall and house.
Oh it’s been keeping keeping me up at night. My plan is to put a French drain behind the pool and perhaps one behind the wing wall (unless the tree roots stop me) with a catch basin at the bottom of the wing wall. That will be tied into our existing corrugated pipes from our gutters. There will also be a strip drain on the pool deck.

Oh it’s been keeping keeping me up at night
Nice to here you are getting a handle on this early. Often this type of drainage will need to be under the pool plumbing so the deep part of the drainage needs to go in first.

That will be tied into our existing corrugated pipes from our gutters.

Corrugated pipe should not be used for surface water or any water that can contain solids or debris. It is usually fine for collecting and carrying ground water where it is encased in stone and there is almost no chance of root intrusion or a blockage. Corrugated pipe will tend to hold the solids and can not be snaked clean. It is also a very weak pipe that can collapse with surface pressures. A project of this scope would warrant the replacement of the unsuitable pipe to ensure the longevity of the work. Where does the existing gutter drainage go?

Nice to here you are getting a handle on this early. Often this type of drainage will need to be under the pool plumbing so the deep part of the drainage needs to go in first.

Corrugated pipe should not be used for surface water or any water that can contain solids or debris. It is usually fine for collecting and carrying ground water where it is encased in stone and there is almost no chance of root intrusion or a blockage. Corrugated pipe will tend to hold the solids and can not be snaked clean. It is also a very weak pipe that can collapse with surface pressures. A project of this scope would warrant the replacement of the unsuitable pipe to ensure the longevity of the work. Where does the existing gutter drainage go?
Thank you for the reply.
Interesting, I was planning on putting the French drain a couple feet behind the plumbing.

One gutter connects directly to a pop up drain, exiting near the driveway. The second gutter ties into a catch basin where a French drain also connects and that exists out a 6” corrugated pipe to another pop up valve near the driveway.

Due for some updates! Used the trenches dug to install a French drain with two 12” catch basins. The 6 pvc pipes sticking up in the back are future irrigation lines I ran for the back area. Planning on sodding some Bermuda grass back there behind the pool.
I can’t wait for the yard to not be such a muddy mess!!
560A8933-3F6B-4683-A36C-DECDD5EE103A.jpeg

C281797E-6B22-4FDD-974D-26CB53386756.jpeg
9E8C11CA-AE73-4FB6-9535-66D80CF605DF.jpeg65A471AA-3CF0-4260-9D2E-1D2595CF01A3.jpegB443F1F4-0C44-4AD0-BE46-FBEC64ED2433.jpeg5763DF82-A2E8-4C91-9C3A-7184FF7ADA54.jpeg

Reactions: Riddler0520
Due for some updates! Used the trenches dug to install a French drain with two 12” catch basins. The 6 pvc pipes sticking up in the back are future irrigation lines I ran for the back area. Planning on sodding some Bermuda grass back there behind the pool.
View attachment 164047

View attachment 164042
View attachment 164043View attachment 164044View attachment 164045View attachment 164046

Nice progress
We are a few steps behind your build as we have very similar designs and yard challenges

Your stonework looks really nice - we start our walls I believe this coming week

View attachment 164047

View attachment 164042
View attachment 164043View attachment 164044View attachment 164045View attachment 164046
Your build is coming along very nicely - crazy how similar our designs are

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.