**UPDATE** NO LONGER Frustrated after drain and refill

Re: Frustrated after drain and refill

Keep up the good fight! :)
Sounds like you're getting the hang of it.

I'm lurking about in the cheering section because.... I love these threads and....

Hawaii!!

:) I'd like to volunteer to be your live in pool girl. lol

Thank you!! It was a constant battle with algae and spending too much money on pool chemical that led me to this site.

Its been a fantastic transition so far and the people here have been awesome. I appreciate my cheering section. :)

Your and your partner did an outstanding job yesterday attacking the bad stuff! I'm going to call yesterday day one, since it was the first full day that you had to try and get the upper hand on it. Good plan of attack. Hoping you pass OCLT or at least come close, but if you don't that's no big deal either. The amount of bleach you're going to be using to achieve and maintain the rest of the way, if necessary, is going to drop dramatically on day two, because of how well you did on day one.

After you get through this, you'll see how easy daily maintenance is the TFP way, and you'll have a superior looking pool to those who don't do it the TFP way--guaranteed!

I'm so excited!!

My first test results this morning:

FC: 16
CC: .5

How long do I need keep it at Shock level?

This test was done at dawn. My pool will fully exposed to harsh sunlight the entire day. How often should I have my pool tested?

You are done when all of the following are true:

1. CC is 0.5 or lower;
2. You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
3. And the water is clear.

Per the SLAM procedures.

Yes, I read the Slam instructions and "on paper" it would appear that I'm done. I have read other threads where it was recommended that they keep the shock level up for a little while. I don't want to "level out" prematurely.

I have not had to add bleach since my 2nd to the last evening test. My OCLT was done at 7:00 a.m., before full sun exposure. I'm expecting the sun to eat up my FC since I'll be in the high 80's.

Questions:

Should I still have my "goal" set at shock level?
How often should I be testing today?

I think I may have messed up a bit. :(

I passed the OCLT, my pool is extremely clear and I've kept mt CC to .5. Just to be on the safe side, as recommended, I wanted to pass another OCLT before I consider my SLAM complete. BUT I just realized that I allowed my timer to automatically turn off my pump several hours ago.

I'm pretty sure I have no more algae. For the first time EVER I had no dead algae on my pool floor and I barely had to add any bleach to keep up with my SLAM.
Will my OLCT be accurate in the a.m.?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Marci! You are fine! Just turn on the pump when you get up and test after it has been running for about 30 mins.

Can you believe how clear your pool is now??? Unreal huh?

Kim

I have successfully completed my very first SLAM. :cool: My deep end looks like its only a foot deep, that's how clear it is. AMAZING!!!

I'm guessing that I should let my FC drop naturally to the target FC level.
I won't be adding anything to my pool until the FC levels out THEN I can balance my pH and anything else out of range.

Is this correct?

YES! You are right where you need to be and doing what you need to do! I think you have it!

I am too lazy to go back and reread what has been sent to you so here are my following a SLAM and new to TFP link.

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Print this out and your pool should stay clear from now on!

We would love for you to support the site. There is a button to click on to help support the site.

Kim

I am an official supporter now. :)
I was planning on donating as soon as I realized this was not a "too good to be true" system. To be honest, I was a skeptic, but I had tried everything the pool store had to offer and was at my wits end. Google brought me to this site and changed my life.

Everyone here has been friendly, supportive and helpful. I am forever grateful for your help.

a skeptic????????? of what???? that you could JUST use bleach to clear your pool?????? Oh and a little MA every now and then. LOL

Believe me I understand! I even went so far as to buy the test kit to make sure it was as easy as they said BEFORE I ordered the pool!

You did it!

Kim

Good job and congrats! Don't test PH until the FC drops to 10 or less. The PH test is only good up with chlorine up to 10 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.