**UPDATE** NO LONGER Frustrated after drain and refill

Re: Frustrated after drain and refill

Hey, congratulations on your hard work! You've come a long way from your initial uncertainty about what to do (just looking back on the first page of this thread) - isn't it fun to understand what you're doing and to see results? :)

Re: Frustrated after drain and refill

Thank you all for helping me through my initial testing and slam.

Now I have a stupid question. I hope it won't make you all lose faith in me.

If my daily OT test only tells me my TC level, how will I know how much bleach to add. Do I need to do the DPD every day?

Hey. Love the new title!

Assuming your CYA is still 40, you will probably be able to do well with the OTO much of the time with a weekly (or as needed) FAS-DPD test. The OTO will read to 5, and you never want to get below 3ppm. In Hawaii, you should aim for a "low" of say 4ish. You can tell on an OTO what 5 is and what over 5 is.

That being said, I would recommend that you use the FAS-DPD test daily for a while until you get to know your "new" pool. Then you could alternate nights and see how it goes. Many of us who have been doing this for a while don't have to check FC daily, but you're not there yet. It takes a while to get a feel for things.

FYI, I always use FAS-DPD even though I have an OTO. It's easy for me to get reagents, so I prefer the accuracy.

Hope that makes sense!

How much bleach to add? It's easy. I have a 40 CYA also. At the top of my daily chart where I record everything, I have a key. It says:
1ppm 8.25%= 41oz. 12.5%= 27oz. (Your volume would have different values).

I rarely use PoolMath because I know about what I need for my CYA and I just multiply the addition. If I need to raise by ~2ppm and I have 12.5% on hand, I add 54 oz. easy-peasy. I err on the side of too much FC rather than too little.

Okay, I think I got it.

I'll do my OTO to check my range BUT I'll also do my DPD to get an accurate reading until I get used to my pools "habits".

My family enjoyed an entire weekend of "trouble free - low maintenance" pool fun. It was glorious!

So glad!!! Always remember that NO question will ever cause us to lose faith in you as long as you keep faith with us!

It's the people who after a ton of questions and great responses say, "My pool store said..." Or "I shocked with 3 bags and it's still not clear..." that gets us less patient types to begin to lose faith. You have trusted us (AND been honest enough to say "I can't do that right now but I will...")

YOU are a great example of how well things work when there is trust on both sides.

Keep the faith. Mahalo!

Nope!! No me. I'm never going back to the dark side. Everything I had been doing to my pool for the past year was making my pool impossible to manage, not to mention wasting a LOT of money. Couldn't have done it without you fine people.

Aloha from Hawaii. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.