Up for the challenge... I think!

Safetysue

Jul 30, 2020
Taylor Ridge, Illinois
Impulse buy on a pop-up Intex 18‘ x 53“ pool with a sand filter. Never owned a pool before so that’s about all I know at this point. Slapped It up on Wednesday afternoon and had her filled by Thursday afternoon. Ordered a test kit from Rebecca at TFT but it won’t be here until the first part of the week. Per Rebecca's instruction I tossed in 4 cups of Clorox household bleach. Since then I've read it deteriorates with age And I know that bleach has been around here for years if not decades! I’ve picked or ordered what I think I need for pool chemicals. I’m about to hang my first CYA sock for 7,000 gallons of water that’s registering no chlorine on a dipstick test.

I believe I landed at the right place here. In reading the forums it appears the members are knowledgeable and willing to help!

7000 gallons in an 18 foot pool is only 44 inches depth. Is your waterline really ten inches below the top of the wall? I have a standard AGP, 48 inch walls, 45 inch water depth.

Have you gotten liquid chlorine? Stay away from Clorox brand, they add things we don't want in pools. Use Pool Math to calculate how much chlorine to add 4 ppm each day until your kit arrives.

Reactions: Safetysue
Hey Sue and welcome to the best pool place on the interwebs. Head on over to ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and read all the related pool school articles. Ask any questions in the proper sub-forum for better answers from those pros who hang out there.

Reactions: Safetysue