Unstabilized chlorine vs. stabilized chlorine used to SHOCK

Aug 30, 2007
San Diego
What is unstabilized chlorine vs. stabilized chlorine?

SHOCK -- This is the process of raising your FC high enough to break down the CC that has formed, sometimes called breakpoint chlorination ("shock" is a verb, not a noun! It is something you do to your pool, not a special product that you use. Any unstabilized chlorine is suitable to use in shocking

Aug 30, 2007
San Diego
I think I may have answered my own question....does sodium hypochlorite sound right? If so, is there a shorter name the pool store would use?
Thanks again!!


LifeTime Supporter
Platinum Supporter
TFP Expert
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
Liquid chlorine is also called bleach (common household bleach, avoid scented versions). In some areas pool stores sell it in 10% or 12.5% concentrations, in other areas they don't and it is simpler to buy regular bleach at a discount store.

Stabalized chlorine contains CYA, unstabalized doesn't. Using chlorine with CYA in it can be problematic because the CYA eventually builds up to high levels and causes problems.