Unlicensed builder- steer clear, yes?

Goshdurnit

Apr 4, 2021
Palmdale, CA
Hey there- I’ve got a 30 year old pool. My pool guy recently referred me to a guy who does “all the local pools” out here to demo, replaster, and pour new deck concrete and coping. Thing is, he’s unlicensed and would do the renovation without permits.

Is there just no way to hire this guy? I trust him and bet he would do good work (and I can only guess it’s cheaper- gonna get a few quotes), but having recently been screwed by an unlicensed contractor on a different job, I’m leaning against it. He suggested permits aren’t necessary since it’s an existing pool that we are just repairing. Is there an owner-builder option for permits?

In Los Angeles County. Thanks! Also, if someone has recommendations for a licensed one in this area, lmk.

Well, yeah.... that kinda goes without saying. Tooooo much can go wrong and you'll be left holding the bag.
I can't even begin to cite all the instances in the news about unlicensed, uninsured "Pool Guys" ....... steer clear.

unlicensed proctologist.jpgStolen from JoyfulNoise ;)

Reactions: Mdragger88
Generally a licensed contractor is not required if you are doing the repair to your own property. I hired people to come out and replace pool equipment and no permits were needed. Pool plaster repair may or may not require permits, you’ll have to check.

But that’s different than hiring someone who isn’t insured or bonded to work. That’s up to you if it’s worth the risk.

Last edited:
I would check local codes to see if permits are required. I would also insist the guy have an insurance bond and ask to see copies of the certificates. I would get his quote and quotes from licensed contractors. If the unlicensed guy is way, way below on his bid that is also a big red flag to avoid using him. He may not be estimating cost of materials correctly or including labor costs for other workers. Whoever you hire should be bidding the job at a reasonable cost and should be bonded and/or insured. If you can get references and talk to past customers of any of the bidders that would be great.

Reactions: kimkats
If he gets hurt on your property YOU are the one that will pay and pay big time. Just NOT worth it! When in doubt, DON'T!
That's the only thing we have to monitor in our state. Check their insurance carrier. We have no such thing as a contractor's license. We have a few trade licenses, like electrician and plumber. That's it. The only permitting for pools is with some city jurisdictions, other than I had to update my County septic site plan on file to show that pool location in relation to was within acceptable limits.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.