Unions or Compression Fittings - That is the question

Jul 25, 2010
Folks,
I'm going to do a complete re-pipe from the pump outlet into the 6 way diverter valve. I have no more wiggle room for pipe cutting etc and anyway as an amateur have never liked that approach anyway. I'm thinking that pipe unions in strategic places will enable any future dismantling of the pipework, however, I also see compression fiitings. What are pro's and con's of these over using a union?

Thanks

I use those compression unions all the time. I like them because they work even if the pipe isn't perfectly aligned. As long as it's close, they'll work. Do keep in mind that you have to have enough pipe to slide it back past the cut, so that can be a few inches in 1½" or 2" piping.

P.S. They also don't require gluing. :)

OK thanks. I think I'm certainly going to use 2off Praher hi temp unions after doing a bit of research. I'll put one on the multiport valve end and the other on the pump end and in theory then I should be able to lift off the entire piping run if I ever need to. That leaves a possible use of a compression fitting in the piping middle area as you say if I need a bit of wiggle room in the pipe run.
Thanks!

can you post a few pic's w a tape measure? I've buried 7-8 different size compression couplings for 1.25" and 3/4" galvanized pipes for my well to the house, buried 18" deep. C-Couplings are easy to use, but you do need the adequate spacing to properly install them. As stated. they do allow you a little more wiggle room. but you should in earnest install you runs w the greatest precision as if they all need to be glued...

Finally, since you did not post where you live, are you subjected to any code restrictions? good luck

This is the run. I intend to fit a threaded union onto the multiport end and a threaded union into the pump outlet end and then, in theory I should be able to lift that entire assy out of the way if I ever need to. I'm still leaning toward compression fitting roughly in the middle of the pipe and will endeavour to make it as accurate as possible.
Thanks

1598639026097.png1598639026097.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.