Underway on large pool project... w/ pics

Neither of the companies have submitted formal bids yet. Ive kind of made up my mind, if its 2500$ or less, ill let them do it. If its more, I will tackle it myself. tiling is not that hard, especially when you dont need underlayment or anything, just straight concrete , thinset and tile. Flat tiles at that.

First bid came back today under 2k. So thats a no brainer... This amateur isnt going to mess up a project like this for 2k haha... They also came back with more than expected... underlayment fabric to help prevent cracking, a sealer/cleaner to help with adhesion. so thats all good :)

OK, 2nd shipment of tile and I am 90% there... first shipment was all broken. Only a couple tile broken this time around. This tile looks 10x better in person than online. I am FLOORED by how good it looks. The browns, the dark blue knots, etc. so happy I chose this Brazilian Tiger Blue 8X48 Porcelain Tile | TileBar.com.

Another little footnote... Ive been told by many folks locally (pool builders) that They may want to use me for designing the outdoor space like I did for my video. Apparently thats not common place around here...
Well, the software I use can be used with VR , and I just picked up a vr headset today. As expected, being able to walk through your backyard as if you are in it, is unbelievable. I sat up on the deck overlooking the yard just looking back and forth for like 5 minutes. I was in awe. If I can pull off this build, I truly think it will be special. Designing it in software is one thing, but being able to truly be in it, thats a whole new level. Most people cant look out over a grassy yard and see every little detail, having this tool will help sell the scope of projects a ton. Maybe Ill actually try to market this skill :)

Reactions: Poolbella
So talking to my tile guys, they cant install it until the window is replaced with the door... So the new schedule is
1. Stone wall bar
2. Pool
3. Concrete deck/under deck up to house
4. Finish deck (car siding, hardiplank etc)
5. Finish electrical.
6. Install fireplace/tv wall
7. install Sliding door
8. Tile pool room/hall/bathroom
9. Landscaping/Irrigation.

I know im missing something,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Next question... is anyone a plumber? In our pool house (converted bedroom) we are putting in built ins, cabinets, fridge, etc. We would love to have a sink as well, but that requires obviously a water line and a drain.
I’m trying to figure out what I am looking at for cost?
1. I’d likely need to break up concrete from the bathroom (across the hall) to the location where it would be. About 20 ft. Luckily the floor will be exported because its all being retiled anyway.
2. Drain - it is on an exterior wall, and technically the wall outside of it is grass today (although concrete deck is item #3 in the spring).

Just trying to figure out if I’m looking at $1500 or $4000...
Thanks

Next question... is anyone a plumber? In our pool house (converted bedroom) we are putting in built ins, cabinets, fridge, etc. We would love to have a sink as well, but that requires obviously a water line and a drain.
I’m trying to figure out what I am looking at for cost?
1. I’d likely need to break up concrete from the bathroom (across the hall) to the location where it would be. About 20 ft. Luckily the floor will be exported because its all being retiled anyway.
2. Drain - it is on an exterior wall, and technically the wall outside of it is grass today (although concrete deck is item #3 in the spring).

Just trying to figure out if I’m looking at $1500 or $4000...
Thanks

You also need a vent line from the new sink trap to outside.

Folks... Good afternoon :) so after a fall of planning (and some work) things are finally coming together. Obviously being in Iowa my pool is on hold until march/april but Im lining up other things as we progress here.
I created an album to track the movement of the project.
I also created a video last fall (and did the modeling as well) to show what the eventual goal will be. That is here. LaBarre Pool Project Stone Bar Update - YouTube

So the project is multi phased and multi-dimensional.
1. Deck (we wanted to add a covered area over the lounging area where couches, fireplace etc will be. Ended up doing a 23*16 deck instead of a roofline. Eventually there will be a spiral staircase down from the deck to the lounge area below (upstairs there will be a door off out master to the deck).

2. Hot tub. This is already installed. Ended up getting a Dr Wellness LG12 hot tub. Love it love it love it. Its not yet in its final resting place, but its close.

3. Stone wall/bar. The stone wall that used to run the length of the patio has been removed (partially) because it didnt fit with my ideas. Instead the existing wall will be raised 6" per foot up to a 42" or so bar top. ON top of that will be granite. So a nice curved bar, butting in to the northern most post of the deck.

4. Electrical. Had to have a new meter run, I was maxed on my other 200amp circuit, so that sucked. The panel has been set, sub panel run, etc (to run the hot tub now) and the rough in for the deck lights, fan, etc is done.

5. Screens - all five sections of the deck will have individual powered screens (phantom) that can be raised and lowered at will. I want to be able to lower 4 sections, leaving the middle open for access.. I think this will be amazing when done. Ungodly expensive, but amazing.

6. Pool room - Under the deck there is now a window (guest room) that will be removed, and a sliding glass door installed. In that room we will tile it and make built ins with storage, ice maker, fridge etc. That rooms tile will go across the hall for access to a guest bath. I figured this would be a pretty cost effective way to eliminate the need for a pool house outside.

7. Pool - a Thursday Pools 40' wellspring pool going in in late march or early april. Still up in the air on the 4 deck jets because without the automation , they wont get used. The automation piece plus jets seems like a huge waste of money. I will be using Pentair products, intellichlor SWG40 (rated for over 3x my volume), Heater/Chiller, Cartridge Filter etc.

8. Landscaping - trees along the entire south side of the fence, and half of the east. Pavers and rock gardens throughout the area (seen in video). I plan to use garden spot smart lighting SYLVANIA LIGHTIFY ZigBee Outdoor Light Gardenspot Starter Kit, 9 Color Changing and Dimmable LED Spots, Works with SmartThings, Wink, and Amazon Echo Plus, Hub Needed for Amazon Alexa and the Google Assistant - - Amazon.com throughout the landscaping to provide scripted smart lighting that can be controlled with voice (google). Blink XT cameras all around for security. I also plan to have 2 garden hose boxes The Waterbox - Green: RG522G | RR Products, Inc. - Commercial Golf and Turf Industry Replacement Parts and Accessories installed as well, so I can have access to water thats hidden away when not in use.

9. Concrete decking throughout. Obviously around the pool and up to the house under the deck.

10. Stone wall under deck - for a large TV and fireplace.

here is a link to the work thats already been done. Its coming along nicely and very much according to the modeling ive done.
Pool Project - Google Photos

Im at the point where I am working on final details. I want to make sure I think of everything. Ive spent enough time on this that I feel like I have, but an extra few hundred sets of eyes cant hurt.
So id love some suggestions on what I might be missing in my plans.
I think the first thing that will come up is storage . I plan to put all my pool equipment under my old deck (where the video starts), and use a lot of the remaining space for storage.

Any other thoughts that come to mind?

thank you friends.
I really liked your video and the lights you linked to! Those are awesome. I don’t have any suggestions for anything since I’m just building my first ever pool right now, but just wanted to say I thought your plans looked great!

Does anyone have one of those little 110v apartment clothes dryers in their pool house? Thats been one of my thoughts from the beginning of my project, but I am thinking about scrapping it due to the fact that I dont want to pop a hole through 12" of concrete wall to vent it... It would be so convenient though... so torn

Nope! We have hooks to hang stuff on to air dry. We also have a towel rule..........this is YOUR towel. If you put it down make sure to find it as you will NOT get another one LOL Swimsuits should not be dried as it dries out the elastic.

Does anyone have one of those little 110v apartment clothes dryers in their pool house? Thats been one of my thoughts from the beginning of my project, but I am thinking about scrapping it due to the fact that I dont want to pop a hole through 12" of concrete wall to vent it... It would be so convenient though... so torn

If it's in close proximity, they DO make great towel warmers when using your hot tub in the winter. Nothing like getting out of the tub on a snowy evening and wrapping up in a warm toasty beach towel to walk back into the house.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.