Understanding Jandy automation options - iQPUMP vs Aqualink

newpoolj

Oct 15, 2020
Sacramento, Ca
I'm starting to bid out a pool build, and the builder who uses Jandy offered an iAqualink setup as a $1500 upgrade to their standard controller. In trying to figure out if that's worth it, I noticed there appear to be similar but different automation options that Jandy supports - iQPUMP and Aqualink. What is the difference, if they both can be controlled by the same iAqualink app? Is one cheaper, if I wanted to DIY install? Is any of this worth it?

Thanks!

iQPUMP is just for Jandy variable speed pumps. You'll have to provide us more details - will your pool have an attached spa, SWG, heater, water features, lights? What are you looking to get out of automation? Just scheduling, remote access?

Thanks for the response. I'll have no spa, one light, no other features. SWG and heater are still up in the air. For the most part I just want to make scheduling easier for myself since using a keybad looks like a hassle (memories of mucking with sprinkler controllers).

So you have basic needs in terms of automation, how serious are you looking at SWG? Is it a cost issue or other reason? Typically bundled systems are cheaper than buying them separately. What type of heater are you contemplating? If solar that is important since you will need an actuator to be controlled by automation.

So you have basic needs in terms of automation, how serious are you looking at SWG? Is it a cost issue or other reason? Typically bundled systems are cheaper than buying them separately. What type of heater are you contemplating? If solar that is important since you will need an actuator to be controlled by automation.

We're interested in SWG. The builder we are most interested in won't do salt though, so we either stick with chlorine, use another builder, or will have to switch to salt later. I'm not sure how much trouble that is (but that's a separate discussion). For heating, I'm super interested in the Hotspot FPH. We run our AC a lot here in the summer in California and already pay a high price to do so, so a unit like that makes perfect sense. From what I can tell that system has a pretty simple thermostat that can be changed to a variety of options.

What reason does PB give for not doing salt, is it warranty related? Detailed discussion on Hotspot FPH below, but it seems complicated wrt automation.

What reason does PB give for not doing salt, is it warranty related? Detailed discussion on Hotspot FPH below, but it seems complicated wrt automation.

Yep, the PB mentioned salt on the decking mostly. I wouldn't be too concerned, but not much I can do. I did read that hotspot FPH discussion which had some interesting ideas for automating the hotspot with a pump.

Aqualink is worth the upgrade for sure just make sure it's the full web interface and an RS system and not PDA based. But, if the builder refuses to do salt, I'd show them the door. A lack of understanding about salt pools would make me wonder about his knowledge about everything else.

Reactions: newpoolj
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.