Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I need some clarification regarding CYA levels. My Taylor test kit and my Intelliclor manual recommend 30-50 ppm. Pool Math is saying 60-90. That seems high to me. Does it have to do with the TFP method or because I have SWG? Thanks in advance.
BTW, new pool so just getting started balancing.

Hey Kandace and Welcome !!! You will want to target 70 CYA for the SWG as that's what we found with oodles of real world members reporting what was best. We have also found that many in the warmer climates may need 80 during the peak season. The test has a +/- 10 variance (which is plenty accurate enough for this) and there ya go... 60-90. Lol. Shoot for 70. :)

Reactions: KandaceM73
Kandace,

You can run 30 to 50 if you want, but that just means your pool will use more chlorine, which means you will have to run the cell longer and harder to generate the chlorine your pool will use. This in turn just use up the cell quicker. Cells are kind of like the gas tank in your car. The better you drive the longer the fuel will last.

We have found that a CYA of about 70 is the sweat spot for running a SWCG. The cell will not be damaged by the CYA.

Another thing to keep in mind is your FC level. If you look at the saltwater section of this chart ... FC/CYA Levels you will see that with a CYA of 70 your Target FC level is 5 ppm. Your Minimum is 3 ppm. Target does not mean max level, it is the target where you would like to keep your FC all the time. Going a little higher than 5 ppm does not have any downsides, but going too low does.. I always try to run at 5 or higher just to make sure that I never get close to the 'edge of the cliff" 3 ppm minimum.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: KandaceM73
As alluded to above, real world pool owners that follow the TFP recommended level of having their minimum FC be 5% of their CYA level have found that higher CYA levels leads to less overall daily loss rates of chlorine and thus means running their SWG at lower output. There isn’t a lot of scientific literature (data) to back up the proposed theories as to why that is other than all of the anecdotal evidence TFP has amassed over the years. The higher levels of CYA just simply lead to more stable FC values. Since SWG’s have a finite operational life (roughly 8000 to 10,000 hours of chlorine generating time), running the cell in the most efficient manner prolongs it’s overall life. A properly maintained pool should give an SWG owner about 8-10 years of useful life.

In my own personal experience over the last 9 years I have found that as long as my CYA is above 70, I notice no excessive use of my SWG. As soon as my CYA drops to 60 or below, I start to have to increase my output % to maintain the same FC levels. I add CYA two times per year - once in early spring after the winter is over and right around mid-July. The sun is intense enough here that CYA naturally degrades and so I always know to check my CYA whenever my SWG starts needing higher output.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.