Understanding Chlorine dosage chart on Taylor K-1004

If you are not using Trichlor or Dichlor then they might want to get you to the 100 CYA level right away to promote a model of chlorination that uses weekly additions of chlorine - but this model doesn't work. Many people following that model end up here after frustration and $$$$ and time wasted.

If you were planning to use Trichlor pucks and Dichlor shock - then they are foolish indeed since your CYA would skyrocket over time and you would eventually have to drain and refill at least partially to get things under control since CYA doesn't go away under normal conditions.

UnderWaterVanya said:
If you are not using Trichlor or Dichlor then they might want to get you to the 100 CYA level right away to promote a model of chlorination that uses weekly additions of chlorine - but this model doesn't work. Many people following that model end up here after frustration and $$$$ and time wasted.

If you were planning to use Trichlor pucks and Dichlor shock - then they are foolish indeed since your CYA would skyrocket over time and you would eventually have to drain and refill at least partially to get things under control since CYA doesn't go away under normal conditions.

Well they didn't bother to ask. I have been in this house for three weeks, and my landlord said he uses the trichlor tabs ( but he called them chlorine tabs) in his pool. So before I did my own research I picked up a bucket and tossed one in the floaty. So there is trichlor in the pool, but I have removed it as of now. I also explained to him, that is probably why he gets an annual green funk in his pool.

poolnooob said:
UnderWaterVanya said:

Well they didn't bother to ask. I have been in this house for three weeks, and my landlord said he uses the trichlor tabs ( but he called them chlorine tabs) in his pool. So before I did my own research I picked up a bucket and tossed one in the floaty. So there is trichlor in the pool, but I have removed it as of now. I also explained to him, that is probably why he gets an annual green funk in his pool.

With a sand filter and lots of backwashing and judicial use of rain to allow some drain and refill you might be able to make the pucks work supplementing with liquid bleach. The method here is about learning chemistry and understanding what your choices entail.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.