Underground Plumbing Connections

Mar 8, 2017
Natick, MA
I have a saltwater pool that's 10 years old. To date this pool has been relatively trouble free. It's now time to start replacing some of the mechanicles. The pump started whining 2 years ago and I was able to break it down and re grease it. So before it quits on me all together I wanted to address some underground plumbing.

As you would expect the skimmers, drains and returns are all the black bendable pipe. They come out of the ground near the filter and have clamped fittings as they change over to PVC. One of the lines from the pool has a crease from movement and might be leaking. So I figured I would clean up the lines by cutting them back and do the transition underground before the crease. What is the best way to do that?

Currently they have stainless steel hose clamps. I am guessing that's not ideal if they are going to be buried. Should I recreate the connection and use a valve box to protect them?

Three lines in from the pool at the bottom.
Two lines out near the top.

IMG_5225.jpgIMG_5224.jpg

K,

I just wanted to say welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all you pool related questions... :lovetfp:

My opinion is that unless you know it is leaking, to do nothing. I'm a DIY kind of guy, but I have learned from experience if it is not broke, don't screw with it.. :p

Of course I'm talking about the underground work with your flexible pipes.

Replacing your single speed pump with a variable speed, or two-speed pump, would make a lot of sense.

Let's see what some other members have to say about your project...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I agree. If it's not leaking, don't mess with it. Leave the poly alone. It's fine the way it is.
I'd replace the pump with a 2 speed. Variable speed pumps are expensive and the electric rates in a Massachusetts are cheap enough that you wouldn't get the return on investment. I have a 2 speed Pentair and run it on low most of the time except when I'm running the heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.