Under contract now! - New build/quotes in central Florida - Opinions welcome!

It is amazing how some of that stuff is of no difference to them later, but has a big price tag at the bargaining table before signing. Got a few upgrades that way myself. But, then, when it comes to the sub and the decking, they wanted to fret back and forth over a few extra feet of travertine that was mis-measured. Beats me!
It’s definitely true. We even looked at this specific upgrade and decided against it because of having to not only pay for the larger sheer but also pay to upgrade the pump.

I’d love to know why both were upgraded at no charge now but we’ll just be quiet and grateful. Haha.

Love your design! Looks similar to ours! We went with the raised spa and added a table in the bench area. Good luck with your build! We are on month 11 since signing, hopefully done in the next 6 weeks!

Attachments

• 82D96647-15E4-47FA-96C3-150EDF78DFFA.jpeg
    82D96647-15E4-47FA-96C3-150EDF78DFFA.jpeg
    379 KB · Views: 43
  • C04D9DCA-97E4-40F9-9A5B-8F355A22C425.jpeg
    C04D9DCA-97E4-40F9-9A5B-8F355A22C425.jpeg
    461.9 KB · Views: 43
Love your design! Looks similar to ours! We went with the raised spa and added a table in the bench area. Good luck with your build! We are on month 11 since signing, hopefully done in the next 6 weeks!
Wow. That is incredibly similar! We debated a table in a similar position to yours as well. Haha

I’m hoping our build is less than a year. According to our PB we are looking at 6-8 months but we’ll see.

Where in Florida are you? Do you have a build thread here by chance?

Wow. That is incredibly similar! We debated a table in a similar position to yours as well. Haha

I’m hoping our build is less than a year. According to our PB we are looking at 6-8 months but we’ll see.

Where in Florida are you? Do you have a build thread here by chance?
We are in Lutz/Tampa area. We were quoted 8-9 months, but they came back and asked for more money due to rising costs, did nothing for a month, and then finally started completing things slowly over the last few weeks. No thread, I’ve asked a few questions here or there.

Don't skimp on sleeves for umbrellas. Put a couple around the pool where you know you will have patio furniture, etc. They are free (just a hole in the concrete - from my builder) and so much better than dealing with umbrella stands. Check out mine for a reference of what we did in that regard.

Reactions: Blancmik
Quick and slightly disappointing update for us. Our permit was rejected by the city because our design was over the impervious coverage limit for our lot. We were at 53% impervious coverage and the limit for our lot is 50% (including house, driveway and patios).

The frustrating part is that there are countless examples of home in our exact neighborhood that are over the same 50% impervious coverage limit that were, according to the new city permit manage, "approved incorrectly and should have not been approved." Our options were to reduce the decking area of the pool or apply for a variance which we were told can take 3-4 months with no guarantee it would be approved (and told it likely would not be approved since previous permit approvals have no weight).

We've reluctantly decided to revise the design. Our PB worked with us to enlarge the pool and remove some decking area around the pool. We're definitely not thrilled about losing the ability to walk around the pool and also some decking space but feel a little stuck in this case since the city doesn't seem like they will budge.

Attachments

• floating-around-pool-revised-1.jpg
    floating-around-pool-revised-1.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 42
  • floating-around-pool-revised-2.jpg
    floating-around-pool-revised-2.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 38
  • floating-around-pool-revised-3.jpg
    floating-around-pool-revised-3.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 39
  • floating-around-pool-revised-4.jpg
    floating-around-pool-revised-4.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 40
  • floating-around-pool-revised-5.jpg
    floating-around-pool-revised-5.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 38
  • floating-around-pool-revised-6.jpg
    floating-around-pool-revised-6.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 35
  • floating-around-pool-revised-7.jpg
    floating-around-pool-revised-7.jpg
    444.4 KB · Views: 33
  • floating-around-pool-revised-8.jpg
    floating-around-pool-revised-8.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 28
  • floating-around-pool-revised-9.jpg
    floating-around-pool-revised-9.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 29
  • floating-around-pool-revised-10.jpg
    floating-around-pool-revised-10.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Sad
Reactions: TampaKathy
It truly stinks that you are being forced to change your plans. I will say that when we built out last pool, we decided to have expand out paver deck and we did not pull a permit. Not sure if our county rules are different, but perhaps an option after the fact.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It truly stinks that you are being forced to change your plans. I will say that when we built out last pool, we decided to have expand out paver deck and we did not pull a permit. Not sure if our county rules are different, but perhaps an option after the fact.
Yeah. I've been coming up with endless schemes around the issue but because the PB is doing footers for the screen enclosure I think we are a bit stuck.

My first thought was to just have the PB build out the permitted pool and decking without the footers. Then expand the the pool area myself or through a 'handy person' that would pull permits. The have the screen company come in a pour the footers themselves and add the screen.

However, we're a little scared to try to scheme out something like that and later get stuck in a situation because the city won't approve something because of a previously un-permitted change or an issue with the screen company not being able to pour footers for the screen because we would already be over the impervious coverage limit.

I think ultimately the pool will still be amazing and we'll love it but it's just annoying to spend so much time designing and coming up with what we thought was perfect to only have to change it in the end.

• Sad
Reactions: Blancmik
It’s a long shot but permeable pavers here seem exempt from hardscape/rock restrictions. It sounds like it wouldn’t work with your pool but it could be for future patio or front lawn areas.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.