Under construction with issues - Gunite Pool & Spa

Rhunter455

Jan 29, 2020
North Texas
We are mid-build of a 16x32 gunite pool with attached spa. We’ve had two issues that I need reassurance and advice for.
First, our contractor chose to shoot the gunite on a day that we had a major afternoon rain event. They completed most of the gunite by noon, and then covered the freshly scraped edges with a tarp and left. As they were finishing up it started raining, and then more rain, and more, and then snow the next day. (Crazy North Texas weather). There was flooding in the yard (not impacting the pool area), pool shell had a lot of standing water, etc. Everything was completely saturated. By the next morning (when it snowed), we went out to find that an interior portion of the gunite had collapsed into the pool. The contractor assured us that this is ok, and that the water is good for the gunite, and it is the structure (not to worry about leaking). They came out within 4 days to re-shoot and scrape that area. Now it appears to be repaired, but there is a definite seam where the original and new areas meet. Since then, we have continued to have rain at least 1-2 days a week. The ground has remained saturated, and water is seeping through the seam. Is this ok? I understand that gunite is not water tight, and I imagine that there will always be areas for water to seep in from the ground into any seam or hole where there is a pipe. Am I on the right track? And do we just trust that the structure is sound since the rebar and dirt behind the gunite remained undisturbed? This doesn’t create an issue for the plaster later?

Secondly, I discovered a major flaw with the built-in spa after the gunite and stone work was complete. There is not a defect, but a major error that changed the outcome of the raised spa. Long story short, we were supposed to have a 12” raised spa edge above the decking. The contractor has confirmed that the spa was dug one foot too deep and will be level with the decking instead of raised. He has offered many, many apologies. You can imagine my fury and disappointment, which I conveyed to him as well. So now, I am in a predicament. I do not want to request a complete tear out and redo of the pool. Redoing just the spa is not an option in my opinion, due to concern with the integrity of the pool structure. I’m willing to just live with it, but should I be requesting something of the contractor in exchange to make it right? He has offered a few additional sitting boulders around the spa, but this is not equivalent in my opinion. If I request a monetary concession, how do I come up with a number? Or am I better off requesting additional concrete decking around the pool or something else? I know how much the spa portion of our pool is costing us, but we are still getting the spa, it’s just not the same look we wanted. Is there anyone who has experienced a similar situation and still had a positive outcome? What would you recommend?

Attachments

• E037CD24-76AE-45FE-AD83-6891026C81CA.jpeg
    E037CD24-76AE-45FE-AD83-6891026C81CA.jpeg
    510.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 9C2A04FA-7342-4030-B2F3-118EF3DD7DF8.jpeg
    9C2A04FA-7342-4030-B2F3-118EF3DD7DF8.jpeg
    670.1 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Hey there so sorry to hear about your troubles. Another N Texan here and I know exactly the week you are talking about...was kinda crazy. I will let the concrete experts answer your question about the gunite questions as I am just starting my first build as well. However I went through 6 or 7 pool bids prior to us signing our contract and specifically remember each one having a line item price for the "raised spa". Most were doing 18 inch raise and from what I remember it was an added couple/three thousand dollars for that in the bid....so if it were me I would either tell them no...its in the contract fix it, or take the 2k and spend it on something else like more patio decking, higher end tile, furniture, etc. But they need to give you a mess up number in dollars. If you need to just take it off the top of the bid thats fine too, but if it were me I would ask for that. Sorry for your troubles looking forward to following your build.

Reactions: Rhunter455
Construction Best Practices - Gunite Over Multiple Days

The pool shell can be poured over multiple days. There will not be a cold joint if they prepare the unfinished edge correctly. This is common on very large pools and commercial projects since you simply cannot shoot enough gunite in one day.

@bdavis466 you see any issues with the gunite repair?

On your spa, like @Jimmie48 said, a raised spa can be worth a few thou. Figure out where you want to ask your builder for some upgrades to deck, tile, or equipment. That will lessen the pain to your builder as he will credit you with a retial price and spend his cost on it. You are at the start of your build. You mayw ant to let the builder know but figure out what you want later as the build and other issues occur.

Reactions: Rhunter455
Hey there so sorry to hear about your troubles. Another N Texan here and I know exactly the week you are talking about...was kinda crazy. I will let the concrete experts answer your question about the gunite questions as I am just starting my first build as well. However I went through 6 or 7 pool bids prior to us signing our contract and specifically remember each one having a line item price for the "raised spa". Most were doing 18 inch raise and from what I remember it was an added couple/three thousand dollars for that in the bid....so if it were me I would either tell them no...its in the contract fix it, or take the 2k and spend it on something else like more patio decking, higher end tile, furniture, etc. But they need to give you a mess up number in dollars. If you need to just take it off the top of the bid thats fine too, but if it were me I would ask for that. Sorry for your troubles looking forward to following your build.
Thanks Jimmie. This has been beyond frustrating for sure. For something that we were so excited about, it’s a major letdown. I’m not usually one to ask for extras so it’s hard for me to request this, but I know it’s what needs to happen. I’ve also talked to an engineer friend of mine at work, and he agrees that I should put it back on the contractor to make it right. He is of the opinion that I should request half of the cost of the spa total. Whether it be monetary or additional work, he said to let the contractor suggest....that he may offer something that I could never have done for the dollar amount in question. I’ll at least start there and see where it goes.

oh my goodness... I am so sorry about that mess up.. which is a biggie... man.... I hope you get something done for you that takes the sting away. Are you sure they can add onto it? I am looking at renovating and I have seen some things happen I had no idea was possible.... he may not want to due to cost but it may be possible and every time you use the pool you are going to be reminded .... ugh.. so sorry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.