Uncovered and unused for three years

Feb 7, 2010
Our pool has been uncovered and unused for 3 years. It is surrounded by trees, so there is an unknown quantity of debris in the bottom. The water is green and there are critters living in it. (GROSS!!). How do we start to clean it up to open it? My husband is concerned there is to much debris to sweep it up. I’m about ready to tell him it’s time to fill it with dirt.
Thanks.
Chris

44000 gal concrete about 45 year old pool. Does not have a drain.

• Wow
Reactions: aztodd
44,000 gallons is a sizable pool. I'm confused as to why it would have been built with no drain. So...what...there is only a skimmer? Without a drain, how does one take the water level below the tiles for winterization? As to cleaning it up, it's certainly doable. With that amount of time being covered, there will surely be lots of algae in there. Any idea what sorts of "critters" are in the water? I mean, when I start vacuuming in spring, there are lots of worms that made their way to the bottom. I wouldn't say there is "too much" debris. It's just a matter of doing the work to get it cleaned up. I'd suggest getting the circulation system running and start vacuuming out some (or hopefully most) of whatever is on the bottom. Once you start adding your chlorine, etc., it'll surely start to clear up. Unless you really want a 20x40 flower bed...I'd say go for it unless you no longer want to use the pool. I just noticed the age. Has this pool ever been renovated in any way? If 40 years old, probably in need of some (possibly major) renovations. Possible that the pump no longer even works (?) When is the last time you used it that everything looked ok? Finally, I'm sure that a local pool service would be happy to charge you whatever they want to get in there and get it running.

Pool was running fine 3 years ago. Not sure why it doesn’t have a drain. There is a leak in the bottom from a crack. Previous owner vaguely told us not to drain the pool right before a hurricane. Lol. The pump works fine. The previous owner installed a heavy duty pump. We’ve had frogs and snakes. As far as I know, it hasn’t ever been renovated. We’ve never had a problem running the pool. My husband just thinks there is so much gunk in the bottom that we won’t be able to clean it.

What would need renovating?
Well, for one thing...any sort of crack where you're losing water surely isn't a good thing. Possibly other issues with the concrete shell, but, as you say, if all was going well 3 years ago - then you might be ok. Do you have coping? Tiles? Any cracks on them - mssing pieces, etc.? That's the sort of thing I'm referring to. Is this a gunite shell that was - when constructed - blown against the usual rebar? You mention "concrete" so I'm presuming gunite with a waterproof plaster finish over the top? How old is the sand filter? Possibly some upgrading needed there by now? But, hey, like the old adage goes, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" 😁 Hope you can get it cleaned up. Snakes and frogs? Wow...does sound a tad foreboding. Curious as to why you abandoned it for that long a time? Noone hardly using it anymore possibly?

What would need renovating? We have wondered about that. Thanks for your reply.
You might want to post some pictures of the pool and the equipment. That way people here can help you better. Do you know if the crack at the bottom is in the plaster or the plumbing?

There are a lot of posts here of people successfully renovating/restoring pools. You might read some of them. You are going to spend a lot of time scooping out debris that's for sure. Given the sudden rise in pool popularity I'd hate to see it filled in.

There are a lot of posts here of people successfully renovating/restoring pools. You might read some of them. You are going to spend a lot of time scooping out debris that's for sure. Given the sudden rise in pool popularity I'd hate to see it filled in.
We just renovated ours but that was more want than necessity but I am super happy with the result

Not sure where you are located or status of water table, but maybe try renting (or buying a cheap harbor freight) submersible pump, pump out all of the water, going in with a shovel and wheel barrow and taking all of the gunk out, then refilling with clean water

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Depending on the depth of the pool, a partial pump down of the water level and high boots or chest high waders would work. I know I've spent enough time standing in knee deep water cleaning out culverts to get good at it. Deep water is a two man job since waders can drown you if you get it too deep.

but that was more want than necessity
The company that renovated mine indicated that it's more an aesthetic decision (to replaster) than true necessity, although I somewhat question that being that I had some places along the bottom where the plaster was worn away down to the gunite, so I kept putting patches on those areas but surely that was less than an effective seal. Gunite, not intended as a water-sealing media, would at some point, I'd think, start to be compromised by the water pressure against it. From the algae attacking all the little exposed nooks, etc. over the years, the bottom moreso resembled a coral reef than a swimming pool. Finally got tired of that look.

The company that renovated mine indicated that it's more an aesthetic decision (to replaster) than true necessity, although I somewhat question that being that I had some places along the bottom where the plaster was worn away down to the gunite, so I kept putting patches on those areas but surely that was less than an effective seal. Gunite, not intended as a water-sealing media, would at some point, I'd think, start to be compromised by the water pressure against it. From the algae attacking all the little exposed nooks, etc. over the years, the bottom moreso resembled a coral reef than a swimming pool. Finally got tired of that look.
Well after they chipped mine out found a bunch of rebar coming through the shell so it became necessity lol im glad we fixed what needed to be fixed and it will be with us until we retire and sell

Not sure where you are located or status of water table, but maybe try renting (or buying a cheap harbor freight) submersible pump, pump out all of the water, going in with a shovel and wheel barrow and taking all of the gunk out, then refilling with clean water
Agree with this ^^^^. I was just in the exact situation as you. I used a semi-trash pump to empty it and then shovels and garbage cans to get it fully emptied. Dead animals, pine needles, mud, frogs, you name it was in there. Then you can address any structural issues and get them patched up. Just be careful with your water table while it is empty. With no drain I'm guessing there is no hydro relief valve either. Mine is built up on a hill with a low table so I lucked out there.

Lots of labor but well worth it right now.

\Well after they chipped mine out found a bunch of rebar coming through the shell so it became necessity lol im glad we fixed what needed to be fixed and it will be with us until we retire and sell
I just hope my renovation lasts many years. The company said that sometimes a pool 'takes' well to a reno and other times not. It's already 7 years since it was done. What I didn't expect is the plaster wearing rather unevenly. I had hoped for more uniform color changes. As the 'cream' wears away, of course, the quartz is becoming more exposed. A few areas are really rough though (more around the walls than the bottom) and those are the types of places where algae can start to attack.

Thanks y’all!! I live outside of Raleigh NC. We’re on the edge of the Coastal Plain - so we have a high water table. Our house and pool were built by a building contractor who lived here with his family. The pool is poured concrete. My husband theorizes that he had his workers essentially pour a modified basement with some rebar and leftover concrete. It’s very sturdy, except when empty during a hurricane! My husband wants to start draining it on Saturday and see what’s in there. The thought of a snake getting stuck is horrifying. 😳😳

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.