Jurate1

Apr 22, 2021
Tucson
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all, we have an old Pentair Clean and Clear filter. It is difficult if not impossible to remove the lid for cleaning filter.
I have done all the usual things, drained air/water. I lubed it last time we finally got it off. I tried to gently pry with screw driver but I was afraid to damage O ring and it didn't seem to help. My husband injured his back and is unable to help get it off. I did blow the lid off 1 time in the past but I am afraid to damage lid by doing this frequently.. Any other tricks? I can buy a new lid for around $125, would that help?
Thanks in advance...

I’d try a rubber Mallot along the seal with love taps to break the seal

Or a small piece of scrap lumber with a real hammer would probably do ok (gently) of you didn’t have a mallot handy.

Yes thank you both for the feedback. Will try the rubber mallot. I agree blowing the lid is not safe. Good video!
It just should not be this difficult to get off...

Thanks MK I am using Hayward Jacks 327 multi lube. On an old post it was recommended unless the formula has changed it was suppose to be silicone based.

Hello all, we have an old Pentair Clean and Clear filter. It is difficult if not impossible to remove the lid for cleaning filter.
I have done all the usual things, drained air/water. I lubed it last time we finally got it off. I tried to gently pry with screw driver but I was afraid to damage O ring and it didn't seem to help. My husband injured his back and is unable to help get it off. I did blow the lid off 1 time in the past but I am afraid to damage lid by doing this frequently.. Any other tricks? I can buy a new lid for around $125, would that help?
Thanks in advance...
Step on the filter's pipes to keep the filter from moving, then put your forearms under the lid's tabs and lift hard side to side. After the lid comes off, clean the inside bottom of the lid and the O ring good, and use LIQUID SILICONE oil on both. Do not use grease like material. It makes it stick and some will make the O ring swell. If that is the case you might have to get a new O ring.
Hope it helps.

Thank you.. I did clean the edges of the filter lid last time I removed it as best I could. I believe there was some of the old sticky lube a previous pool tech used. I may just buy a new O ring just in case. Will see what happens next time. Appreciate everyone's feedback...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.