Unable to improve pH levels

Rckwithani

May 23, 2024
New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Hi - anyone know what to do here? PH and alkalinity levels at 0 and will not rise. Tried sodium bicarbonate and sodium carbonate separately. Added slowly, let pump run to mix. Nothing registers on my dip stick. Also, when added, these chemicals turn yellow/orange and the filter pulls the color out over time.

Chlorine is good. Pool is clear and clean. No visible algae.

Looking for someone experienced solving this. Lots of locals have not been able to help me.

Thank you

pH of zero means your pool is essentially filled with battery acid.

See Newdude post above. I highly recommended the TF-Pro

@Rckwithani , just to make sure the intent of the replies is received and that your initial experience here with TFP doesn't go unwelcomed, the are two concerns about your initial post:
1 - Method of testing. Dip stick implies you are using test strips which are extremely unreliable. We recommend owners use a TF-Series or Taylor K-2006C test kit. That's always step #1.
2 - It is unusual for a pool owner to state that their pH and TA are at zero. There would probably be catastrophic indications in the pool or at the equipment by now. The acidity level would be unreal, so this brings us back to the testing part. It's possible the strips are leading you astray. We see it all the time.

Still, we encourage you to look over our Pool Care Basics page for lots of very good articles to help. If you have any questions let us know. Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Reactions: newdude
Shame on me for thinking this would be a helpful, safe place.
I assure you Ben meant no disrespect or shade. He was simply saying how off your test strips are.

It was a fair comparison if your water actually was how it's been tested.

He even threw in a recommendation for the best value test kit, which I second. :)

I broke down the details on the kits here :

Reactions: .ben and pjt