Umbrella on shelf...doesn’t fit...

TheBigEye

Mar 26, 2019
Houston, TX
Question about pool umbrellas. My pool builder left this hole on the tanning shelf. He said any standard umbrella would fit. I bought an umbrella and tried to place it in the hole, but it doesn’t fit (wow, that sounds bad when typed). Anyway, what can I do now to get the umbrella to fit?

1D495019-AA20-4A2F-9127-317D4C141B71.jpeg
7475351A-521B-4AD9-994F-7A38B7AEE8AD.jpeg

The umbrella pole is 1.5” which as I understand is standard. I took the top off the sleeve in the shelf and it looks like it’s a collar of some sort on top of PVC pipe. The collar has a lip around the inside which makes the inner diameter slightly smaller. Any idea how I would fix this? 34167462-349B-4E8D-8F62-64DAA07A87EC.jpeg

I would ask you PB to come back and show you how the std 1.5" umbrella fits in the hole he installed.

Since it looks like it screws in, you could unscrew the sleeve, then dremmel out the inner piece. It also looks deformed too where it might be pushing into the center, thus blocking the pole - was this already used ?

I would go to a brick and mortar pool store and look at their umbrella receptacles and compare that to what you have.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FYI: Try to remove that inner collar (if it is not glued). Mine has a collar as well but it is not glued it just comes out.

I would ask you PB to come back and show you how the std 1.5" umbrella fits in the hole he installed.

Since it looks like it screws in, you could unscrew the sleeve, then dremmel out the inner piece. It also looks deformed too where it might be pushing into the center, thus blocking the pole - was this already used ?

I would go to a brick and mortar pool store and look at their umbrella receptacles and compare that to what you have.

The deformed part is the water moving around the sleeve. I can unscrew the cap, but not the top piece itself. Feels like it's been glued (pvc glue) to the PVC pipe below. My PB isn't responding, which is par for the course with him.

I wonder if you can find a short piece of PVC that will act as an adapter... both fits the umbrella pole and the other more narrow end into the hole? Don't they have pieces of PVC in the plumbing section like this??

Instead of an umbrella sleeve cap, it appears that the pool builder installed a return fitting. I don’t think it would be glued. There is a tool that fits in those inside slots to remove it. In any event the PB needs to correct his mistake.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.