Umbrella deal

Marlahoutex

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2014
Houston tx
For those of you who live in the south and have an Academy store, they have 9' tilting Market umbrellas for $29.00 and a base for $19.00. They also have anti-gravity loungers for $49.00. Solids and stripes are the same amount and they have, at least in my store, a decent selection of colors.

We bought 2 umbrellas and 2 stands and a blue lounger. We'll see how long they hold up, but at that price I could by a new one every year and still be ahead!

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Those umbrellas look like the ones we picked up at a grocery store. Worked really well ... Until a freak wind gust at a party a few weeks ago sent one sailing across the yard and 2 into the pool, one with its granite base. I think 1 is still semi functional. The metal is very thin.

Marlahoutex

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2014
Houston tx
JBlizzle, good to know! I wasn't expecting too high quality, but was hoping they'd at least get us through the summer.

darin.brown

Oct 15, 2015
DFW, TX
was at Sams club at their $119 umbrella with sunbrella fabric gets solid reviews but $29 is tough to beat if they last 2-3 years here in TX.. tempting.. similar chair at Sams was for $69 and appeared to have an attached drink tray at a quick glance.

isriam

Jan 15, 2015
PHX
thats a good price. i purchased one at walmart for 29 bucks and i'm really happy with it also. i've always owned costco umbrellas but you cant beat having 3 for the price of 1.

Hot6

Jun 27, 2014
Alabaster, AL
We had terrible luck with those same chairs from Academy a few years back. The 20 or 30 rings in the blue surface all rusted to nothing after a season. Worst part some of the rusty metal found its way into the pool and caused staining.

-Mike

DaneCE

Jul 1, 2011
VA
Keeping umbrellas from blowing around is always the problem. I have a granite base that weighs 40 lbs. and that was never enough. I filled four 5 lb. protein powder containers with concrete and they fit perfectly on the base. I made a sheet metal cover to pretty it up. The total weight is 200 lb. It has never moved.

JayBauman

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 5, 2014
Katy, TX
I bought 3 of those umbrellas at the beginning of last season. I have 2 "umbrella holders" in my pool decking and another one on my sun shelf, so I don't use weighted bases. On one rather windy day, I had an umbrella lift out of the holder. Otherwise, they worked very well.

Now that we are smack dab into the middle of year 2 with the umbrellas, I am pleasantly surprised how well they are holding up. The canopies and extending hardware still work perfectly. The amount of color fading is minimal. I do, however, have a salt pool so the poles are starting to show a bit of corrosion. I do not expect that the hardware will last into the 2017 swim season.

But, man, for only $30, these umbrellas are great. We are so happy with the Academy-branded stuff that we bought a few of the anti-gravity loungers and regular chairs in coordinating colors. Highly recommended!

Malibu07

Jun 20, 2010
Southeast VA
Keeping umbrellas from blowing around is always the problem. I have a granite base that weighs 40 lbs. and that was never enough. I filled four 5 lb. protein powder containers with concrete and they fit perfectly on the base. I made a sheet metal cover to pretty it up. The total weight is 200 lb. It has never moved.

Can you post a picture for us?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

chiefwej

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 12, 2011
Tucson
was at Sams club at their $119 umbrella with sunbrella fabric gets solid reviews but $29 is tough to beat if they last 2-3 years here in TX.. tempting.. similar chair at Sams was for $69 and appeared to have an attached drink tray at a quick glance.
Those $119 Sam's Club umbrellas go on sale at the end of the year. Watch for it. I bought 3 of them last year for $39 each. No color selection was left, but at that price........

DaneCE

Jul 1, 2011
VA
Can you post a picture for us?

Sure!

IMG_1718.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Nice!

That is the base that ended up in my deep end :(
Luckily I have yet to find any damage to the pebble surface.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.