Ultra UV Sanitizer from Paramount - will it work?

Aug 13, 2017
Saratoga, NY
Hi there!
We are about to install a 20 x 34 mountain lake unground pool in Upstate New York. Our pool installer recommended a UV sanitation system instead of salt water. We read about it online and it sounds amazing... is this system too good to be true or does it really work? We want the UV sanitizer to cut back on the amount of chlorine we need to have in our pool since we have young children with sensitive eyes.
Any feedback is appreciated!
Thank you!
Colleen

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Yes, too good to be true. We do not recommend the use of UV or ozone systems in private outdoor residential pools. They are not any EPA approved sanitation system and require the use of chlorine ... so if you have to use chlorine any, what is the point of pay to buy and run those addition products?

If you follow the TFP methods of chemistry maintenance, I guarantee your kids will not have problems with their eyes. You pool will not be anything like the way a public pool is maintained (which is likely why you think chlorine is a problem). Really, if you can smell "chlorine" at a pool, it is because there is not ENOUGH chlorine in the pool. The smell and irritation is as a result of the byproduct when organics are broken down by the chlorine. With high FC levels, these bad CC levels will not build up.

Save the money on the UV and get a salt water chlorine generator or liquid chlorine dispenser.

Welcome to the forum!

This is an outdoor pool? If so, the greatest UV sanitizer there is is the SUN!

No, they do nothing, and actually consume some or your chlorine so you will use more.

Read this -- Alternative sanitizers and pools--The Truth!!

Glad to have you in the forum!

Hello. I'm new to TFP, but not to pools. Had a pool for years at the last house, chlorine and plaster. Installed new one here about a month ago. Went with pebble, chlorine and added a uv sanitizer. Read a bunch of stuff and now can say i see no reduction in chlorine use. If i was starting new again, i would not install the sanitizer. I would not recommend. Sounds great but, ehhh.

Thank you for all of the advice! We will not be wasting money on a UV filter then. My next question is about salt water pools and how well the filter holds up. I was told by multiple pool companies that they need to be repaired every 4-5 years and it is $800-$1000 each time. Is this true? Also, I have been told that salt water pools will lead to damage of our stamped concrete pool surround as well as the pool liner and steel frame. Has anyone on here had a salt water pool for 8-10 years? Will you let me know how the pool and surround wears with the salt?
thank you!
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Yes, too good to be true. We do not recommend the use of UV or ozone systems in private outdoor residential pools. They are not any EPA approved sanitation system and require the use of chlorine ... so if you have to use chlorine any, what is the point of pay to buy and run those addition produ
If you follow the TFP methods of chemistry maintenance, I guarantee your kids will not have problems with their eyes. You pool will not be anything like the way a public pool is maintained (which is likely why you think chlorine is a problem). Really, if you can smell "chlorine" at a pool, it is because there is not ENOUGH chlorine in the pool. The smell and irritation is as a result of the byproduct when organics are broken down by the chlorine. With high FC levels, these bad CC levels will not build up.

Save the money on the UV and get a salt water chlorine generator or liquid chlorine dispenser.

- - - Updated - - -

Great advice, thank you!

Colleen --
Sounds like a Texas pool builder you have in New York! Seems like every PB in Texas hates salt ---

I have not had my salt water pool that long - but there is no documented proof of damage, as long as, you maintain your proper water chemistry values. pH is the most corrosive factor involved - and Salt Water Chlorine Generators tend to move pH up in most pools. And if left unchecked, can do extensive damage to equipment, etc.

A 'regular chlorine' pool typically has 800-1500 ppm of salt in it, a salt water pool 3000 ppm, your tears are 9000 ppm, and the ocean is 30000 ppm.

I am sure other members will give their input. Take care.

FYI - I would not have a pool without it being a SWCG pool.

Take care.

The saltwater cell that actually breaks the salt bond and creates the chlorine wears out in 5-7 years but typically manufactures package these with separate elements so you can keep part of the system and just replace what wears out. So you might pay $1200 upfront for the entire salt system but in 5 years or so you pay much less like $300-$500 to replace just the salt cell. You'd save more than that by not having to add chlorine (*ideally*) and enjoy the lower maintenance of a saltwater pool.

Hello fellow NYer!
I have had a SWG for 3 seasons now. I am so glad that we chose that method of sanitation. We had made that choice before I found TFP, so I got lucky. We have had not issue with corrosion of either metals or concrete. We have brushed concrete patio around the pool.

I did want to add one piece of reference regarding the life of the SWG cell. The life of the cell is dependent on use. The harder it has to work, the shorter the life. We have a relatively short pool season in upstate NY. Our cells should last longer than average. My pentair is supposed to last 10,000 hours of generation. Right now, I have it set at 60% with a 6 hour run time (3.6 hours of generation per day). Even if we say that I average 5 hours of generation per day average over a 5 month season, that comes out to 750 hours of generation per season. By those numbers, I should expect to get well over 10 years out of my cell assuming that I keep the water balanced and scaling is not an issue. Only time will tell!

Best of luck with you new pool! By the way, my builderwas happy to put in either a SWG or a puck dissolver.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In NY, you guys have enough rain and then snow in the winter to wash away and dilute the trace amounts of salt that get splashed out.

The salt build up is more of a problem in dry climates like AZ and TX where it may cause more issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.