Uh oh šŸ˜• more wall problems

My husband is strictly ā€œI donā€™t do poolsā€.

When my wife said she wanted a pool 20+ years ago I was adamant about NOT getting a pool. But she won out!

I grew up in a family of putting up and taking down the AG pool every year, it was a nightmare that I didn't want repeated. I was pleasantly surprised on how easy it was to take care of and that we could winterize the pool and it would be up all year round. It did take me a while once the pool was up to stop grumbling under my breath!!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Too late now but that half buried side of the pool needs a retaining wall. You are getting water build up there and freeze/thaw cycling is just making it worse. The native soil isnā€™t capable of holding itself back and basically all that ground is slowly sliding into your pool wall. Since your pool wall canā€™t hold it up structurally, itā€™s just going to keep pushing and bulging the pool. Your pool is basically just a ziplock bag full of water, itā€™s not going to hold it back much either. A retaining wall with drainage is necessary to get the ground dry behind the pool.

I like watching this guyā€™s DIY channel because, as says towards the end, heā€™s a ā€œsafety secondā€ kind of guy šŸ˜‚ -

Every soil has what is called a natural level of repose. That is the maximum angle that the soil can be at under it's own support. Most of the time it is not 90 degrees (but it can be). Anything being held at a higher angle is going to need support from something. Having said that, calculating the pressure against the side of the pool, especially with groundwater involved is not so simple. It involves permeability, flow nets, and a bunch of other things.

Short answer - drains and retaining structures are your friends.

That makes me feel much better.
I almost bought one of those little cameras when we dealt with the termites so I could see in other parts of the walls without disturbing anything but never did.
Off subject, do you have a picture of your plumbing set up? I am reworking mine & it still isnā€™t as aesthetically pleasing I had hoped.

Here is my plumbing, left is suction, right is return (and that is dirt, not rust). Cleary I have not done any spring clean up yet.

Picture1.jpg

The lines extend out to the equipment pad

Picture3.jpg

Like that - I am going to change out the unions to cam lock fittings this year (If I get around to it)

Picture4.jpg

Topside view, where you can see where the skimmer is

Picture2.jpg

Reactions: Mdragger88
Update now that the cover is off & I can see better.
FD8A0E2B-B6FE-4C42-B13D-2F6B20773CB2.jpegC0BDE227-B5A9-49A7-87FA-FCEE80D77FDD.jpeg0C47190B-CFE6-4D72-B89E-514268FEAE0D.jpeg
Thereā€™s still a slight bulge but itā€™s definitely better now that the water has been normal height for the last 2 weeks. All those wrinkles have been there the whole time I have had this pool, none of them look new.
It used to be quite loose & still is in some places but the deck is so close to the upright caps I canā€™t get in there to remove the top rail & pull the liner up some. I should have done it before the deck went in but I was scared to. I also didnā€™t want the pool place messing with anything else. It took a week & a half to get a dang return fitting installed. Wrinkles are a sign of a well lived life right? Thatā€™s what I tell myself when looking in the mirror anyway šŸ¤£

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.