Ugh - Feels more like November than mid April...

cjpwalker

Silver Supporter
Sep 1, 2016
Yakima, WA
Last year we had high 80s over spring break. The wife is a teacher and was home with the kids telling me every day how we needed a pool!

Fast forward one year - opened the pool a couple of weeks ago (first time, thankyouverymuch). Revved up the heat pump and brought it up from the low 40s into the 70s in just a few days - woot!

Now it's just being stupid outside. Several days we're not getting out of the 40s. There have been a couple of high 60s in there, but the nights are still getting too cool for the heat pump to run. It can't really heat when it's below 50 out, and below 40 it starts losing, so I just shut it off. The other night we got down to 28.

Anyway, just whining about my first-world problems a little. I'm probably looking at a couple hundred bucks, likely more, for electric this month as I try in vain to get this thing up to temp. Lesson learned for next year, I guess, and I'll wait a little longer. I've been able to maintain water temps in the mid 70s, give or take. OK for the kids, but not for this guy... I'm told that summer is in fact going to come this year, though, lol!

Well, if it makes you feel any better we've been in the 50s and 60s for pretty much all of April, and then today, BAM! 3"+ of snow... The grass that was already green is now completely hidden under a blanket of white....

Last week, looking ahead the weekend was supposed to be in the 90's, couldn't wait so I started to open pool. Got it all together and cleaned up. Started heater...... now the forecasts for the weekend is for upper 60's and rain storms. Can't trust weatherman for more than 6hrs. Turned heater off. .....just waiting for summer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hear that CJ, I'm roughly 200 miles away from you.

It is looking like a late start to the swim season this year. The last two years
first day of swimming was the first weekend in May. I know that's not going
to happen. My pool water is sitting at 55 degrees and should have been at
least 65 by now.

If it's any consolation the weather service is saying we're in for a warmer
than usual early and mid summer then back to normal temps for mid august
to sept.

I hope it's true, we got robbed of many sunny swimming days last summer.
(I keep a log)

WOW CJPWalker! That is awesome!!!

EDIT: Rethinking getting a heater because of your reviews.

Wish I could have gone gas, but the heat pump does ok. I modified it some to work better in lower temps, and the pool is kept covered unless we're swimming.

It took forever to get the water above 80 and runs all night to keep it there. I've been able to hit 85 and satisfy the thermostat for the past few days, though. It will be better when the weather improves - less loss from the pool, and more capacity from the heatpump.

I checked the meter and ran the numbers a couple of days ago, and I'm on pace to hit $300 in electricity this month.

Reading these makes me happy that I pay the premium for SoCal weather [emoji23][emoji23]

Minus the house outside my back fence lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.