JeremyH

Jun 5, 2019
Saginaw, Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey guys just wondering what your tropical chlorine depletion is in a day? My cya test kit is out so I need more but I believe it was 20 last time I checked. Anyways I added two gallons of liquid chlorine yesterday at 12pm and I tested just now I only had 1ppm of fc left and my cc was below .5ppm. I feel as if it should not deplete this quickly. Should I try raising my cya to like 40? And is there a faster way then the sock method?

Jeremy,

Most pools use 2 to 4 ppm of FC per day... The lower the CYA, the more the sun will consume the chlorine.

I find that ladies knee-high stockings work best for adding CYA.. Much better than an old gym sock...

I suggest that you run an OCLT... Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to make sure you do not have algae..

Thanks,

Jim R.

My CYA is 40 and I’m losing 5.5 ppm per day. Roughly 8 to 2.5 ppm. I’m in the tropics (Hawaii) with the sun directly overhead and the UV index 11-14 every day. I lose 2.5-3 ppm between the hours of 10:30 and 2:30 pm. I was pretty surprised when I started keeping track. In the winter the usage is about half.

Last edited:
Reactions: mknauss
Sweet, I increased my cya to 40 and just a side note. Today i had a small victory at the pool store. I used to go there all the time and spend tons of money. Before I went I tested my pool water for fc and cc. She said my fc was .1 and my cc was .9 making my TC 1. I said well I tested my pool before I came and got fc .4 and cc .6 which gives me 1 TC. Seems someone's equipment isn't good at all ?
Ps. I understand it needs to be higher on the fc just trying to get a good judgement of how much to add so I dont have to test everyday??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.